Senior Business Analyst
Posted on: November 22, 2021
At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning
and to our talented team who makes it all possible. We are bold
thinkers and standout innovators who push the boundaries of
technology. We create seeds of learning that become the catalyst
for the world's innovations. Within the Pearson Virtual Schools
(PVS) division we have reimagined K-12 education through our
virtual school and curriculum offerings. Our schools, Connections
Academy and Pearson Online Academy, provide a best-in-class online
learning environment for K-12 students to acquire the skills and
confidence they need to adapt and thrive in a changing world. We
also support school districts with curriculum, teachers, and
technology as they make the shift to online. The COVID-19 pandemic
introduced significant disruption and transformation to the K-12
learning market. And as a result, our category has seen explosive
growth and our business has experienced enormous increases in
awareness and enrollments. This presents an incredible opportunity
for our team to chart a ground-breaking path through this shifting
environment to achieve continued success.
This role would be part of a greater team of business analysts
focused on defining how a proposed system will accomplish business
requirements through technical solutions for functional and
non-functional requirements. Provides support and analysis for
systems to ensure smooth and continuous running of enrollment and
customer engagement systems for efficiency, speed, and cost of
implementation and maintenance. This would include regular and
preventative maintenance, systems requirement management and
process related analysis for all technology systems that support
enrollment and customer engagement teams.
- Participate in the scoping out of enrollment and customer
engagement roadmap discussions and planning
- Lead requirements solicitation sessions using various methods
including but not limited to: interviews, document analysis,
requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process
descriptions, user stories, scenarios.
- Create process flow diagrams, and wire frames to ensure
- Design adaptable and scalable solutions that meet current
business needs and can be leveraged to address future needs
- Analyze business processes, identify pain points, and design
scalable solutions that meet the business needs
- Prepping, speaking, and presenting ideas/solutions to drive
adoption and engagement across the organization by impacted
- Participate in scrum sessions, writing stories and identifying
Acceptance Criteria or gathering and composing other on-demand
- Develop, improve and oversee the review and validation of
written specifications with subject matter experts, development
team members, and other partners to ensure on-time completion with
all necessary sign offs.
- Together with the Product Owner he/she is responsible for
making recommendations about products and features that would
support a positive, secure and efficient enrollment and customer
- Apply deep understanding of the current business, industry
context, regulatory context, future vision to develop an
enterprise-wide business architecture capabilities and roadmap
Responsibilities & Duties
- Performs requirements gathering, analysis, and synthesis of
information for system definition.
- Analyze business processes and information with a critical view
to improve the user experience and increase productivity
- Develops and maintains user support documentation, analyzes
software maintenance requirements including trouble report and
change proposal analysis, and propose economical and efficient
solutions as part of developing IT solutions to user
- Ensure requirements are documented, traceable and testable
through to implementation. Performs current state analysis of
existing business systems, applications and functions.
- Produces timely and high-quality requirements-related work
products, including requirement specifications, process flows,
mock-ups and wireframes.
- Collaborate with Product and IT teams for systems
implementations, all upgrades, fixes, interfaces and
- Perform interviews of project stakeholders and translate this
information into manageable and executable requirements for IT
business analysts and developers.
- Analyze the 3rd party/product integration aspects of business
requirements and be able to effectively work with vendors, IT, &
Product teams to implement such requirements.
- Occasionally act as lead for a customer team of junior business
analysts to test new product features: design test cases to monitor
system functionality and support system enhancements of new
technology/experiences that support enrollment operations.
- Design and develop requirements including writing basic
functional and non-functional specifications.
- Identify and analyze user requirements, procedures, and
problems to improve existing processes
- Collaborate with Product Owner/Managers across Product and IT
teams to monitor and evaluate processes and KPIs in order to
improve the customer experience
- Develop, share, and incorporate organizational best practices
into business applications
- Drive business stakeholders toward consensus and decisions
regarding prioritization of requirements
- Lead the analysis and thorough documentation of current and
future state business processes that require improvements.
- Requirements gathering, use cases & user story development
- Develop and maintain application roadmaps and documentation for
your assigned applications
- Facilitation skills, to lead requirements elicitation
- Observation skills, to validate data obtained via other
techniques and expose new areas for elicitation
- May serve as a lead to provide training, guidance and/or
orientation to staff, as assigned.
- Provide backlog management, iteration planning, and elaboration
of the user stories
- Assist with prioritization of product enhancement backlog
according to business value or ROI
- Bachelor's Degree: business administration, information
technology or equivalent work experience where the majority of the
focus was on working with business and technology teams.
- 5-9 years in a business or technology business analyst role in
an agile and waterfall environment.
- Experience in either a consulting environment, focused on
digital capabilities, or in similar roles in diversified,
multi-brand businesses, preferred.
- Experience with Waterfall and Agile frameworks and their
- Extremely nimble and ability to focus on several projects
- Hands-on experience configuring and supporting CRM or similar
business applications, Salesforce a plus
- Proficiency with process diagramming and project management
- Experience using Salesforce CRM product, including workflows,
validation rules, and integrations
- Experience using contact management product (e.g., telephony,
SMS, & chat).
- Experience in data modeling, process mapping and specification
- Experience in creating business cases for technology-related
- Team-oriented, excellent communication skills and is highly
organized and skilled in Agile
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks within a
collaborative team environment
- Previous experience in Business Analyst role in Agile scrum
- Essential an understanding of digital capabilities.
- Proficient in both traditional Agile / Lean methodologies,
Waterfall SDLC, Smartsheet, Jira, Confluence, Microsoft Project,
Office, and Visio
- Strong collaboration skills. Works well in a team environment
- Demonstrates a sense of calmness under periods of uncertainty
or change while dealing with stress in a manner that sets the
necessary tone for the team and function
- High character and integrity, is consistent and acts in line
with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs
- Global outlook with sensitivity and awareness of social and
- Ability to drive results, influence people, and train others
- Must be a self-starter, quantitative-minded, and possess a
proactive, innovative nature.
Organization: North America Connections
Req ID: 686
Keywords: Pearson, Washington DC , Senior Business Analyst, Professions , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!