Strategy Officer for Innovation and Discovery
Company: Lumina Foundation
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Strategy Officer for Innovation and DiscoveryJob Title: Strategy
Officer, Innovation and Discovery
Department: Innovation and Discovery
Reports to: Strategy Director, Innovation and Discovery
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C. Employees spend two working days in the
Compensation: $95,920-$108,000 (final offer commensurate with
Benefits: Include, but are not limited to, health insurance
(medical, dental, and vision), 6% employer match for 401(k),
pension, vacation and sick time, paid leave, 100% employer-paid
group life, long-term disability, and commuter benefits.PurposeThe
strategy officer for innovation and discovery works with the
director and senior leadership to explore new issues and ways of
working to inform current and future strategies at Lumina.
Promoting postsecondary access and attainment and centering racial
equity and justice remain core to Lumina's identity-and, through
Innovation and Discovery (I&D), we are developing new work on
the societal benefits of increased attainment to respond to the
question, 'education for what?' I&D provides dedicated
organizational capacity in three areas:
- Monitor the broader societal, economic, and political context
for our work and identify for leadership potential disruptions and
systemic risks that may affect Lumina's ability to achieve its
mission or to deliver on strategic priorities.
- Incubate new ideas and solutions to risks prioritized by
leadership, including through early-stage strategy development to
include grantmaking and other forms of investment, partner support,
thought leadership, and network development.
- Launch the most promising incubated ideas to other portfolios
at Lumina and to others outside Lumina when they reach an
appropriate level of relevance and maturity.The I&D team works
closely with colleagues across the Foundation to identify and
implement innovative ideas that bridge our current strategic work
and our possible future directions.The Officer must be highly
adaptable and willing to take risks and learn along the way,
including developing expertise in new areas that emerge as
priorities for the Foundation. Ideally, the Officer will have
interest and experience related to democracy, community building,
and/or climate and sustainability. The Officer should also have a
baseline knowledge of the current higher education landscape and
efforts to promote credential attainment.At Lumina, how we approach
the work is as important as what we accomplish. Candor,
collaboration, and connection are the organization's core values ,
and everyone at Lumina strives to live these values through their
words and actions.The RoleCommitment to Racial Justice and Equity
- AdvanceLumina's commitment to ending systemic racism and
barriers to learning beyond high school for Black, Hispanic,
Latino, and Native American individuals
- Identify opportunities for I&D to promote racial and ethnic
diversity in hiring, contracting, grantmaking, inclusive
decision-making, and achieving fair and just outcomes.
- Effectively communicate Lumina's commitment to racial equity to
internal and external partners.Portfolio Design and Management
- Manage an assigned portfolio of grants and contracts through
the lifecycle, encouraging relationships and collaboration among
partners and communicating lessons learned to internal and external
- Collaborate with the Director on ways to support, enhance, or
pivot in strategy.
- Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new partnerships
to inform I&D portfolio development.
- Research and increase awareness of key issues and players in
the field to assess how the portfolio can be enhanced.Integration
- Serve as an essential internal resource for sharing insights
from I&D's work, including building out a plan for knowledge
sharing, writing memos and developing presentations, participating
in briefings for leadership, and connecting with colleagues through
formal and informal channels.
- Collaborate in an intentional and forward-thinking way with
colleagues across the organization to maximize the impact of the
- Identify opportunities to bridge I&D efforts with
priorities of other Lumina portfolios and external partners.
- Consistently engage the director for feedback, guidance, and
alignment.External Representative and Thought Leadership
- Represent Lumina in various external settings, occasionally
through speaking opportunities, and share highlights and
opportunities identified during those events with the director and
- Clearly articulate and champion I&D efforts to internal and
- Contribute to op-eds, reports, talking points, and other
written pieces that advance the Foundation's strategic efforts
related to I&D.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to plan and
execute convenings, meetings, and conferences of I&D partners
and other key stakeholders.Strategy Analysis and Synthesis
- Analyze and synthesize information across various sources and
share insights with the director and executive team members.
- Use critical thinking skills to extract key lessons from past
and current work to shape and inform future work.
- Convey Lumina's key messages clearly and compellingly and
provide feedback to colleagues on linking I&D with other
Foundation priorities.Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent mix of experience and
- At least three (3) years of experience, preferably in the areas
of higher education, democracy, community building,
climate/sustainability, nonprofit, public, or philanthropic
- Knowledge of the current higher education landscape and efforts
to promote credential attainment.
- Demonstrated success in influencing, affecting, and
implementing change, or some other mix of relevant skills and
experience is preferred.Skills, Competencies, and Characteristics
- Ability to learn quickly and connect learning to ongoing
conversations related to the assigned body of work.
- Ability to demonstrate how best to use the Foundation's
resources to ensure the policies and practices envisioned in the
current Strategic Plan align with Lumina's learning and
- Ability to make decisions in concert with others without
complete information and thrive in an outcomes-oriented,
continuously evolving work environment where thinking beyond the
curve is encouraged.
- Project management skills with demonstrated ability to execute,
follow through on commitments, set priorities, and manage time and
- Experience with diverse networks that support efforts to
produce systemic change.
- Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to
communicate accurately, effectively, and in ways appropriate to
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to synthesize different
sources of information and help connect the Foundation's work to
broader societal issues.
- Ability to manage internal and external constituents, projects,
- Analytical, problem-solving, and research abilities and an
ability to coordinate with researchers and program evaluators.
- Capable of applying adaptive problem-solving skills in response
to unforeseen challenges and new assignments.
- Flexibility to manage changing and multiple requests.
- Ability to work collegially and diplomatically across the
organization and audience groups, with an ability to listen and
- Sound judgment in handling sensitive or confidential
- Ability to use technology effectively, including Microsoft
Office 365 products such as Excel, Outlook, Word, and Teams and the
Fluxx grants and contracts database.Work Environment and Physical
- Work is performed in an office environment, primarily
- Extensive use of various forms of technology.
- Travels 10-20%, including overnight stays.This description is
only a summary of the typical job functions, not an exhaustive list
of all possible responsibilities, and may be subject to change at
any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.To apply
to this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter
indicating your interest in the position to Human Resources via
email email@example.com . Please use the subject-
Strategy Officer, Innovation and Discovery_FirstNameLastName.
Keywords: Lumina Foundation, Washington DC , Strategy Officer for Innovation and Discovery, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!