Global Lateral Conflicts Specialist
Posted on: January 27, 2023
About the opportunity
Dentons is currently recruiting for a Global Lateral Conflicts
Specialist who will be responsible for assisting with the review,
identification and resolution of potential conflicts issues with
respect to lateral candidates and firm growth opportunities and to
ensure compliance with ethical compliance with ethical professional
rules of responsibility and risk. The successful candidate will
have particular responsibility for assisting with conflicts
checking firm growth initiatives across various jurisdictions,
identifying and resolving legal and business conflicts, and working
on all relevant integration activity
The Global Lateral Conflicts Specialist will work closely with
members of the Global Lateral Conflicts department.
Why Dentons is different
The legal profession is changing rapidly and Dentons is leading the
way in advancing change for the benefit of clients. We are driven
to challenge the status quo, delivering consistent and
uncompromising quality and value to our clients in new and
innovative ways. With over 17,000 individuals in more than 179
offices the opportunity is huge.
Dentons continues to receive external awards and recognition,
including for our continued international expansion over the last
12 months; for ground-breaking innovation through the development
of Nextlaw Labs and Nextlaw Global Referral Network; and for
success in advising clients across multiple regions. Dentons is
also a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index and a BTI
Client Service 30 Award winner.
- Review and provide thorough and timely analysis of all lateral
candidates and firm growth opportunities to identify legal and
business conflicts of interest.
- The Global Lateral Conflicts Specialist will be a part of a
team responsible for identifying and resolving conflicts of
interest during the lateral hiring process, presenting any
conflicts to the sponsoring partner and Legal recruiting, and
working to resolve ethical conflicts and business relationship
- Utilize available internal and external databases,
communication with Partners, other lawyers, Legal Recruiting, Human
Resources and other resources to follow up on and resolve all
potential conflicts of interest.
- Prepares and distributes a conflicts analysis memorandum
presenting all outstanding conflicts of interest for each lateral
- Organizes and tracks progress of lateral candidates through the
- The Global Lateral Conflicts Specialist will be responsible for
reviewing conflict reports and communicating with lawyers and staff
- Reviews and analyzes conflict search results for lateral
associates, counsel, summer associates, paralegals and other
- Implements ethical screens and conflict alert notices.
- Proactively communicate with department leadership on complex
conflicts questions and other compliance issues
- Responsible for the review of conflicts checks in different
jurisdictions, applying applicable local rules of professional
responsibility as well as Firm Policies and Procedures.
- Undertake various related special projects as required
- Other duties as may be assigned to fully meet the requirements
of the position.
- Business international level of English - both written and
- Highly collaborative and able to work in a global environment,
accommodating the different time zones.
- Particularly strong written communication skills;
- Particularly strong organizational skills; Significant
experience and a proven track record in/as:
- Be a team player, able to work effectively at all levels of an
organization with the ability to influence others to move toward
- Understanding and experience of business continuity
requirements and implementations
- Drive out decisions and recommendations;
- Independent, pro-active way of working.
- Able to demonstrate excellent customer/client facing
- Able to effectively negotiate with and influence colleagues and
others to achieve a successful outcome;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly
explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to
- Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive,
- Has commercial awareness and understands the business value
required from IT investments;
- Able to make decisions and remain calm while under
- Methodical approach to work with a strong focus on accuracy,
attention to details, consistency and quality.
- Able to work under pressure to tight project deadlines and can
adapt to differing demands, prioritizing tasks where appropriate
and ensuring complete 'follow through' on operational issues;
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations to effectively
resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent
with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or
- Strong legal research skills
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way that supports the
practices values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity
You will possess:
- Adept in responding to challenges and issues as they
- Able to thrive working under pressure, and be able to
- Extensive experience of working with layers of engagement and
- Impeccable attention to detail and ability to work with a wide
variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative
- Stay current with recent research and thinking on ethics and
conflicts best practices and rules across jurisdictions in which
the firm has offices. Maintain a sophisticated, relevant base of
knowledge in these areas
- Knowledge of Intapp conflict checking, ethical wall and
business intake software a plus
Essential Qualifications / Experience
- Prior experience working with law firms or corporate legal
- Prior experience analyzing and resolving conflicts of interest
specifically for lateral hires is desirable
- Experience with conflicts analysis strongly preferred but not
Diversity & Inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to
attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of
backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach
their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects
We undertake and support a number of internal and external
initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and
we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all.
Reward and Recognition
Remuneration and benefits package will reflect the successful
candidates experience and country where hired.
Keywords: Dentons, Washington DC , Global Lateral Conflicts Specialist, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!