Staff Nurse - Medical/Surgical Oncology- Part Time - All shifts available
Company: Luminis Health Doctors Community Medical Center
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Staff Nurse - Medical/Surgical Oncology
The registered nurse assumes principle responsibility under general
supervision, for the total care, assessment, implementation and
evaluation of each patient assigned to the nursing unit, either
directly or through leadership of personnel. The RN develops and/or
revises a plan of care for each patient, initiates health care
training and education of the patient and/or patient family to
facilitate recovery; utilizes principles of teaching and learning
to assist patients, staff and self in the identification of the
need for new knowledge and skills.
Role Specific Competencies
1. Administers all medications in accordance with policies and
- Verifies physician orders against MAR for accuracy on each
shift and on an ongoing basis.
- Maintains knowledge of all actions, indications,
contraindications, adverse reactions, dosage and route of
administrations on all drugs administered to patients.
- Assures that all medications are administered in accordance
with Bedside Medication Verification Policy 100% of the
- Responds to pt requests in a timely manner, answering questions
about medications to patient's satisfaction.
- Provides supervision and assistance to LPN with administration
of IV push medications, and blood / blood product
2. Completes comprehensive physical and psychosocial assessment of
assigned patients (RN).
- Completes nursing databases and physical assessment within
eight hours of admission, identifying care needs. Makes appropriate
referrals based on assessment.
- Initiates a patient plan of care within 8 hours of admission.
Establishes appropriate nursing diagnoses, interventions and
measurable outcomes in collaboration with the physician, patient
and family. C ommunicates plan of care to other healthcare team
- Documents evaluation of the patient's compliance and response
to the therapeutic regimen as indicated.
- Updates patient plan of care to reflect changes in patient's
- Communicates pertinent patient information to physician to
obtain appropriate patient care orders.
- Reports pertinent patient care data to the Clinical
3. Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to provide quality
care services for special age specific populations, such as, but
not limited to pediatric and geriatric patients.(RN)
4. Implements and monitors appropriate nursing care to meet
patient's needs. Evaluates patient response to care provided.
- Participates in nursing shift reports, giving accurate and
complete information on each patient.
- Establishes priorities appropriately, delegates assignments and
follows-up on completion of assigned work.
- Performs physical assessments for each assigned patient on
- Performs direct patient care and documents care, treatments,
response to care/treatment and events occurring during
- Identifies pertinent patient information and communicates as
appropriate to physician including critical results, changes in
patient condition, patient and family concerns, diagnostic results
and clarification of orders.
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations.
- Accepts, accurately documents and ensures accurate
transcription of physician verbal orders.
- Assures all orders are initiated by conducting periodic chart
and meditech reviews throughout the shift.
- Demonstrates computer literacy and competency in O/E and chart
- Verifies and coordinates scheduling of tests and
- Maintains adherence to infection control measures, including
wearing personal protective equipment per policy.
- Responds to patient requests in a timely manner, answering
questions about patient condition as appropriate.
5. Participates at the unit level to support unit functioning.
- Participates in unit staff meetings.
- Successfully completes all required education courses as
assigned within established deadlines.
- Adheres to attendance and tardiness policies.
- Conforms to hospital and departmental dress code.
- Always utilizes sign-in/sign-out documentation sheet for meals
- Participates in unit based performance improvement data
collection as needed and in unit based improvement efforts as
- Reviews unit and hospital communication on a routine basis to
include electronic and paper formats.
- Assures that computer data entries are complete and
- Maintains confidentiality of all records
- Ensures appropriate use of equipment used in patient care;
ensures that broken equipment is tagged for repair.
6. Participates in healthcare education needs of the patient and
- Assesses patient educational needs and utilizes educational
programs for teaching.
- Documentation reflects implementation of teaching
- Documents evaluation of patient and family understanding and
areas of inadequate understanding.
- Revises education to reflect current patient status.
- Utilizes appropriate resource persons and documents
Qualifications and Experience
- Current CPR/BLS is required.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and current RN
licensure in the State of Maryland.
- One year previous experience in Med/Surg Nursing within the
past five years.
- RNs providing chemotherapy are required to complete
Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course.
- More than 75% of work time will involve pushing, pulling,
stretching, bending and walking.
- Must be able to hear normal sounds with some background
- Must have ability to use a standard computer keyboard, and be
able to read a computer screen and differentiate colors.
- Routinely lifts objects under 50 pounds.
Welcome to Luminis Health
Get ready for a bright future with us as we ignite a new era in
community care. One that gives our patients easier access to what
they need, when and where they need it. We offer many opportunities
and locations for you to contribute your talents: Three hospitals
(Anne Arundel Medical Center, Doctors Community Medical Center,
McNew Family Medical Center), multiple outpatient services to
include imaging, lab, services, medical group, mental health and
substance use treatment centers, outpatient pavilions in Bowie,
Easton, Kent Island, Pasadena, Odenton and Waugh Chapel and a
We invite you to shine your light and join us in sharing optimism,
collaborating on innovation, and delivering quality care.
The future is bright. Yours and ours.
PATIENT- & FAMILY-CENTERED CARE
Patient- and family-centered care requires more than a skill set.
It requires a mindset focused on the principles of Dignity and
Respect, Information Sharing, Participation and Collaboration.
Patients and families are encouraged to be participatory members of
the health care team - helping to make decisions about their care
or the care of a loved one.
Our nursing quality councils are based on a three-tier
infrastructure - unit level, service line level, and organizational
level. Each level escalates to the next, allowing for strong
communication and collaboration between quality councils, as well
as within and between the service lines. Within the councils,
nurses formulate their practice questions, conduct literature
reviews, review research articles, and create quality improvement
projects geared to the specific needs of their patients.
Doctors Community Medical Center makes career growth and
advancement a priority for our nurses. We have a formal clinical
ladder program and clinical ladder coaches who can help you assess
your goals and guide you through the portfolio and application
process. We also offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities,
along with in-house seminars, workshops and access to continuing
education credits via HealthStream -.
Keywords: Luminis Health Doctors Community Medical Center, Washington DC , Staff Nurse - Medical/Surgical Oncology- Part Time - All shifts available, Other , Lanham, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!