Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairs
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Here at AstraZeneca our team in US Oncology Medical Affairs
changes the practice of medicine and improves the patient
experience by generating and communicating compelling medical
evidence. We have the opportunity to impact every point in the
patient journey and reach beyond the interventions that AstraZeneca
can influence. By partnering with experts we gather information and
influence across the whole experience. It's by communicating and
developing innovative scientific evidence that we can truly
transform how patients living with cancer are treated.
A Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairsin US Medical Affairs is a
board-certified physician or PhD who has a history of clinical
practice or significant industry experience in the Oncology
therapeutic area. The Medical Director/Sr Med Dir is knowledgeable
of the actions of regulatory bodies and has experience in all
aspects of clinical trials. The ideal candidate should have
significant experience in their medical specialty and would thrive
on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will
serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area.
They will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience,
including proven ability to translate and appropriately align
commercial and scientific goals and objectives. They will have
solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical
experts in Oncology.
The Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairs is responsible to lead
the Core Medical Team (CMT). The Medical Director is knowledgeable
of the actions of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, and has
experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have
significant experience in Oncology and would thrive on proactively
engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the
development and execution of the evidence generation strategy. In
addition, an ideal Medical Affairs Medical Director will have
strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven
ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and
- All activities of study team physicians for US local trials
including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct,
data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate
- Ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical
information in promotional material and learning materials for both
internal and external use
- Lead the Medical Evidence generation strategy of Core Medical
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic
partners, including both payer and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external experts,
Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies).
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of
national and regional medical advisory boards.
- Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training
for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Provide clinical education and training for internal
stakeholders such as regional scientific managers and members of
product sales teams.
- Develop the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research
program to align with strategy.
- Maintain key links into global brand clinical activities by
maintaining collaborative working relationship with Oncology
- Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in
collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Work with commercial brand teams to provide scientific and
clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in
support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for
- Work closely with our Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) and
National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with
learning materials for internal and external use
- Work closely with Global Medical Alignment Leader (GMAL) to
ensure US strategy is aligned with global.
Minimum Requirements -Education and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D.,
D.O. or equivalent Ph.D. degree
- Board certification/eligibility preferred in internal medicine
or a related relevant specialty, Oncology preferred.
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and
familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing
U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial
and scientific colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will
be up to -30% of time
- 5 years of Pharmaceutical Industry experience
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or another
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and
Skills and Capabilities:
- Passion for patient outcomes and knowledge of patient care and
- Leadership Capabilities at a senior leader level with strong
- Strong leadership with proven track record of change and
- Proven ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Versatile communication skills
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring experience
- Presentation and negotiation skills
- Team and Cross-functional working - demonstrating commitment,
influencing, challenge and support.
- Strong analytical skill set
- Demonstrated strategic agility - Ability to anticipate and
shape future based on market, business and industry trends.
- High ethical standards
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the
full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it
is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that
you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone
who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
- At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize
it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small,
can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing
medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments
and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building
a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a
bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new
ways to work, pioneering innovative methods, and bringing
unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good,
because we can't wait to hear from you!
Where can I find out more? Our Social Media
Follow AstraZeneca on:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for
COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations
as required by applicable law.
Keywords: AstraZeneca, Washington DC , Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairs, Other , Gaithersburg, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!