Senior Biocuration Specialist (Microbiology)
Company: ATCC Biotechnology
Posted on: May 16, 2022
The Senior Biocuration Specialist is responsible for data curation
and bioinformatics investigations of ATCC's biological materials
collection. They perform the ongoing curation and assessment of the
organization's internal scientific databases and physical archival
records of biological metadata for its extensive collection. They
are also responsible for supporting and potentially leading new and
ongoing research and development initiatives that rely on
bioinformation accuracy and data provenance.
The Senior Biocuration Specialist contributes subject matter
expertise working on problems of diverse scope where analysis of
data requires evaluation of multiple factors. They may lead
projects aimed at solving a wide range of challenging problems
related to biological data provenance and authenticity in culture
collections. They resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways,
demonstrating good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for
obtaining solutions. -
- Collect, identify, correct, validate, and proactively curate
biological data contained in the organization's scientific
database, inventory management databases, laboratory information
management system (LIMS), and physical document archives.
- Research, develop, maintain, and implement controlled
vocabularies, ontologies, and data structures to better
characterize and describe the organization's biological
- Work collaborative with scientists, quality assurance,
bioproduction and customer service teams to improve the
organization's data content quality, value, and accuracy for
customers, partners, and research collaborators.
- Work with data science, bioinformatics, and lab-based teams to
integrate data curation solutions in everyday activities to ensure
- Write, edit, initiate blogs, industry white papers, application
data notes, service reports, and peer reviewed manuscripts. Present
scientific or technical seminars at internal seminar series,
external webinars, and/or at public scientific
- Plan and execute research as needed. Carry out routine tasks.
Troubleshoot technical problems, data analysis and test methods,
and document corrective action.
- Develop and maintain accurate reporting and timelines of data
entry, project updates, tasks, and issues as they arise to program
managers and project leaders.
- Develop research documentation, such as protocols, reports,
presentations, publications, manuscripts, and/or summaries,
ensuring quality standards and scientific integrity in research
activities are maintained.
- Remain knowledgeable of current and relevant scientific and
technological developments, especially as it relates to the
discipline of biocuration and the organization of biological
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and 5 or more years' experience or equivalent
- Experience in Biological Sciences.
- Masters Science degree or PhD in Biological Sciences with 3
years post-graduate experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and related MS Office
- Experience with bioinformatics scripting languages (bash, Perl,
Python, R, etc.)
- Experience using, querying, and collecting data from public
biological information databases.
- Familiarity with biological data curation standards,
vocabularies, and ontologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission
to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and
distribute biological materials and information for the advancement
and application of scientific knowledge.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment because of race,
color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or
any other federal, state or local protected class.
Keywords: ATCC Biotechnology, Washington DC , Senior Biocuration Specialist (Microbiology), Other , Gaithersburg, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!