Freight and Transit Engineer/Project Manager
Posted on: September 16, 2021
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking a Freight and Transit Engineer/Project
Manager to join our team at the Saxton Transportation and
Operations Laboratory (STOL or Saxton Lab), in McLean, VA. The
Saxton Lab supports the USDOT and Federal Highway Administration
(FHWA) with a range of transportation operations R&D programs.
A large focus of this research is on Connected and Automated
Vehicle (CAV) technology. We lead a number of R&D projects
building open source software for new connected and cooperative
features between CAVs, infrastructure, and other roadway users - in
support of Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO)
goals to improve system efficiency and safety. Our lab is a large
interdisciplinary team of engineering, software, and outreach
professionals working together to develop these technologies and to
promote and support industry adoption.
Successful candidates will have experience in an engineering
field related to transportation and strong knowledge of CAVs,
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Vehicle-to-Everything
(V2X) technology, freight operations including port operations,
fleet management, and transit management. Some familiarity with
software development is preferred, and the role with coordinate
closely with our software development team.
This position is an opportunity to lead CAV R&D projects
related to freight, within our larger program, as a project
manager. We are looking for a motivated professional with a
background in transportation engineering and project management who
will lead projects developing CAV use cases related to freight
(commercial vehicles) operations, port operations, as well as other
multimodal commercial and passenger vehicle use cases – such as
transit - as the program grows.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can
thrive, keep reading!
This role will work with our engineering, software, and outreach
staff as well as USDOT clients to deliver products such as Concepts
of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test plans, verified and validated
software, live demonstrations, technical reports, and outreach
materials and events.
Location: This position will be full-time at FHWA’s Turner
Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia.
This position provides diverse job functions, and may include,
but not limited to:
- Project management, including activities such as: leading
client meetings and communications, project staff management,
deliverable tracking, status reporting, quality assurance, overall
strategy and direction.
- Lead technical and outreach product development, including
products such as: Concepts of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test
plans, verified and validated software, live demonstrations,
technical reports, and outreach materials and events.
- Lead BD and capture teams to identify, qualify, and pursue
opportunities, and develop winning proposal materials.
- Build consensus and maintain support among engineers, clients,
and industry on abstract and technical concepts.
- Assist in the development of the integration capabilities
across multiple task orders within the program.
- Author white papers, proposals, and briefings demonstrating
technical thought leadership in response to Leidos leadership or
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in relevant technical fields such as mechanical
engineering, civil engineering, transportation engineering, or
systems engineering with 5+ years of prior relevant
- Experience in the following areas: Connected and Automated
Vehicles (CAV), Vehicle-to-Everything technology (V2X), Intelligent
Transportation Systems (ITS), Transportation Systems Management and
Operations (TSMO), freight operations, port operations, fleet
management, transit management.
- Experience in project management.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Experience leading the development of solutions for
- Experience in writing for white papers, RFI responses, and
- Experience working closely with clients.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV
- Self-motivated and focused on delivering outcomes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced highly collaborative
- Self-starter who can work in uncharted and not yet well defined
research areas – must be able to coordinate with staff and clients
to advance emerging ideas from high-level concepts to defined work
- Direct experience supporting USDOT or State DOTs, especially
experience working the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
(FMCSA) and Maritime Administration (MARAD).
- Experience working with software development teams.
- Experience developing cost models, basis of estimates (BOEs),
and Bill of Materials (BOM).
External Referral Bonus:
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Keywords: Leidos, Washington DC , Freight and Transit Engineer/Project Manager, Other , McLean, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!