Integrated Communications Strategy Director - HEALTH
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Business Unit Description
AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization
with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people 50+ turn
their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the
way America defines aging. As a trusted source for news and
information, we work to strengthen communities and promote the
issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security,
financial security, and personal fulfillment.
Integrated Communications and Marketing is a multimedia,
service-focused communications and marketing operation that leads
in shaping the impression of AARP by providing communications
planning, marketing, support and execution for AARP's strategic
The Integrated Communications Strategy Director is responsible
for developing, managing and executing communications strategies
that raise awareness and promote engagement around key AARP
initiatives. The three major components of the position are 1)
Leading the development of a strategic approach to health
communications 2) Oversee the execution of the strategy and 3)
Measure and report results. This particular position focuses on
AARP's work and resources on health issues, such as Medicare,
Medicaid, brain health, wellness and prevention. The Director has
no direct reports, but manages a cross-enterprise team of content
creators, channel managers, subject-matter experts and others who
contribute to the strategy and execution.
- Develop proactive, multi-channel communications campaign plans
to support AARP's health-related initiatives.
- Maintain high credibility with colleagues on the Content and
Marketing teams and clients throughout the association. Be adept at
building teams across disciplines to achieve goals.
- Serve as a liaison between the Integrated Communications &
Marketing (ICM) group and other AARP departments/initiatives across
the enterprise, including Policy and Research.
- During annual planning, lead the development of communications
and marketing plans for all health-related activities. Throughout
the year, manage budgets related to health communications and
- Demonstrate a depth of knowledge about health issues of
importance to AARP and its members, such as Medicare, Medicaid,
brain health, wellness and prevention.
- Exhibit a breadth of knowledge of all aspects of Integrated
Communications & Marketing, including social communications, story
development, budgeting, project management and the collection and
reporting of data to measure results.
- Maintain close relationships with the leaders of AARP's various
communications channels and integrate them into the planning
processes as appropriate.
- Deliver seasoned judgment and insightful, intelligent and
creative advice to senior-level leaders of AARP initiatives and
- Monitor external groups in the health policy landscape and seek
opportunities, as appropriate, to partner on key initiatives.
- Manage contracts with association vendors and other
consultants, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate exemplary cultural attributes, collaboration and
leadership behaviors in all interactions.
- Completion of a Bachelor's Degree (advanced degree preferred)
in communications/public relations or a related discipline and 8-10
years of experience in developing communications/public relations
strategies for a variety of clients.
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge of organizational priorities,
goals, and projects (especially enterprise and communications
- Possess strong client service orientation, project management
and account management skills.
- Demonstrate excellent understanding of, and ability to work
within, organizational politics, networks and a matrix management
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills (e.g. listening,
negotiating, facilitating, managing conflict, flexibility,
- Experience managing coalitions and partnerships a plus.
- Possess excellent writing and oral communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company
funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance,
STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
As a result of the COVID pandemic, all interviews will be held
virtually and all non-essential employees will continue to work
remotely until further notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a
diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does
not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex,
color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information,
veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable
Keywords: AARP, Washington DC , Integrated Communications Strategy Director - HEALTH, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!