Producer I/II, Morning Edition
Company: National Public Radio
Posted on: June 13, 2021
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces
award-winning news, information, and music programming in
partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations
across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity,
curiosity, and social responsibility - and our employees do too. We
are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and
digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and
member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where
collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion
is the key to our success.
Morning Edition and Up First seeks an experienced production
journalist to play a leading role running the flagship morning
show, and to help shape the show's coverage of news and feature
stories. The Producer will develop and produce timely, original
content for Morning Edition - for broadcast and online. The
successful candidate must be available to rotate into a variety of
shifts, including overnight, swing and dayside, in service of the
live broadcast of Morning Edition. They will work closely with
Morning Edition Managers to determine coverage for the live morning
- Produces high-quality audio for program broadcast
- Makes key programming decisions in conjunction with the Morning
Edition Management team.
- Initiates, plans and produces program material for next day and
- Edits tape and writes copy with minimal supervision and
- Must be comfortable in the studio setting, and able to direct
hosts during a live broadcast.
- Ensures that all program elements begin and end as scheduled,
and meet the standard of audio production.
- Instructs, mentors and helps manage workflow of junior
- Must be flexible to work overnight and early morning shifts as
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent work
- At least six years of experience as a reporter, editor, or
- Strong audio production expertise.
- Experience working on a live daily news show, producing live
and breaking coverage.
- Experience directing hosts during a live broadcast
- At least two years of editorial decision-making
- Ability and willingness to work evening, overnight and early
- Experience assigning staff, especially under deadline
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative
ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others,
demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies
at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may
choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations.
Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining
agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a
- Producer I- Experience line producing a live broadcast,
overseeing the production elements of a program.
- Producer II - Experience line producing a live broadcast,
working in a leadership role overseeing the production elements of
- Experience managing others.
- Expertise in writing, copy-editing and headline writing under
breaking news conditions.
- Experience in the field: planning, executing and producing
stories while traveling with reporters or hosts.
- Experience producing complex, layered music pieces.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All
applications must include a resume and cover letter to be
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits
package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and
work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career
growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to
hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR
Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following
@NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career
opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.
Keywords: National Public Radio, Washington DC , Producer I/II, Morning Edition, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!