Principal Engineer-Grid Edge Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Company: Exelon Corporation
Posted on: May 6, 2021
DescriptionAt Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of
the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer
bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies
that strives for the highest standards of power generation,
competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of
outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought
leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a
diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design,
build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to
motivating the success of our employees through competitive base
salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune
100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly
shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize
your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Develops and/or leads teams in studies, plans, criteria,
specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents,
performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost
estimates, budgets, associated with the planning, design,
licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of Exelons
electric generation, transmission, distribution, gas and
telecommunication facilities/systems. Provides consultation and
recommendations to the Company within and to other business units
and/or customers as a result of studying company or customer-owned
systems, processes, equipment, vehicles or facilities. Reviews
financial data from budget and actual costs of projects. Acts as
recognized technical authority in a specialized engineering
area.The Grid Edge SME Principal Engineer will be accountable for
developing and maintaining technical standards and policies to
manage Grid Edge resources while keeping abreast with industry
advances to prepare the company for disruptive technologies. Grid
Edge technologies can be defined as energy devices and technologies
that operate near or at the endpoints of the traditional electric
grid may include but are not limited to PV Solar and Inverter based
generation, Battery and Energy Storage devices capable of consuming
and exporting energy, Electric Vehicles and respective charging
infrastructure, Synchronous Machines and Turbine Generation,
Microgrid Design and Operation, and Energy Efficiency and Demand
Response to name a few examples.Position may be required to work
extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other
energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Performs consultation and training on highly complex and unique
technical areas requiring the application of advanced engineering
- Evaluates complex technical issues that require highly
specialized knowledge in very specific areas and recommends actions
or programs for their resolution.
- Leads the implementation of large specialized technical
projects and/or teams in order to develop studies, proposals and
designs while considering cost effectiveness.
- Participates in technical and industry societies and committees
to enhance knowledge of new technologies or issues in area of
- Participates in department planning, provide budget
recommendations and monitor performance for the accomplishment of
- Acts as an expert witness and provide expert opinions for
regulatory and/or legal proceedings.
- Process owner for Grid Edge and Distributed Energy Resource
(DER) technologies connected to the Electric Utility Grid.
- Maintain and develop technical standards, procedures, and
policies related to Grid Edge Technology interconnections,
operations, and forecasting.
- Participate and present at industry committees and conferences
such as IEEE and EPRI.
- Develop and oversee DER & Grid Edge Academy and company
- Advise Regulatory policy groups on technical impacts of Grid
Edge advancements such as FERC 2222 impacts and Electrification and
Renewable state targets.
- Support Regulatory response related to DER, Non-Wire
Alternative (NWA) and Grid Edge programs.
- Support Smart Grid programs and pilots for evaluation and
- Manage relationships with Grid Edge innovation companies to
propose and evaluate innovative solutions to meet business
- Highly influential on strategic management decisions that can
have a major impact on the company.
- Set direction for the organization in regards to technical
- Applies technical knowledge to help promote a safe work
environment and to enhance customer
- Master of Science degree in Engineering or Licensed
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex electrical and
- Knowledge and ability to apply problem solving approaches and
- Knowledge of engineering designs, principles and
- Ten years or more of experience in specific areas of
engineering and recognized industry expert (Requirement reduced by
one year for Licensed Professional Engineer).
- Advanced knowledge and experience with regulations, guides,
standards, codes, methods, practices, and advanced engineering
- Advanced knowledge of latest technologies necessary to perform
a variety of specialized unique or complex assignments for various
installation types of services.
- Industry expert who participates or leads industry committee or
working groups or has published technical documents.
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and the ability to
communicate with all management levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to do a technical Impact Analysis when
incorporating a medium to large size DER on the Distribution
- Experience to include doing time series analysis with Power
- Demonstrated ability to do a financial Analysis (cost benefit
study) on the operation of medium to large size DER on the
- Working knowledge and experience with PV Solar, Battery
Storage, Combined Heat and Power, Fuel Cells, Demand Response, EV
Charging, and any other edge energy systems.
- Working knowledge of IEEE 1547-2018 and UL 1741 and the
deployment of smart inverters.
- Understanding of state rules for integrating DERs and of
typical industry rules and criteria for integrating DERs.
- Good understanding of many of the impacts DERs can have on the
distribution system and solutions or upgrades.
- Ability to consider long term effects of DERs and proactively
set Technical Criteria and Policy to insure reliable operation of
- Working knowledge of using NWA solutions to meet distribution
- Working knowledge of Microgrids and how to model and simulate
- Ability to speak to developers and explain Technical
Interconnection Requirements and reasons for the criteria.
- Ability to work with and present technical concepts and
criteria to state commission staff and other stakeholders in rule
- Knowledge of Homer Pro or other similar modeling tools.
- Experience designing, installing or overseeing the operation of
- Knowledge and experience interfacing to DERs for monitoring and
- Familiarity with typical output data of various edge energy
systems, especially PV solar.
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees
or applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran
status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
Keywords: Exelon Corporation, Washington DC , Principal Engineer-Grid Edge Subject Matter Expert (SME), Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!