User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Designer - Department of Defense
Posted on: February 25, 2021
User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Designer - Department of
Defense Barbaricum supports government clients with Integrated
Communications, Mission Support, and Cyber Security/Intelligence.
Our passion is innovation and we are committed to client value and
effective technical solutions. We are an ISO 9001:2015-certified
and CMMI Level 3 appraised, Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small
Business (SDVOSB) located in Washington, DC. Our mission is to
transform the ways the U.S. Government approaches problem sets of
increasing complexity by delivering innovative solutions,
particularly in support of National Security missions. Barbaricum
is one of the fastest-growing companies in our market. The company
is routinely recognized by institutions like Inc. Magazine, GovCon,
AMEC, PRSA, and SmartCEO for corporate growth, capabilities, and
award-winning client work. Our team is dynamic and agile, providing
global support to current missions across five continents. We are
also focused on developing and maintaining our vibrant corporate
culture, having been recently named one of the best places to work
by Inc. Magazine. Barbaricum is seeking an experienced UI/UX
Designer to provide support a leading Department of Defense client
focused on the direction, synchronization and modernization of
Artificial Intelligence across the DoD enterprise. This individual
will provide subject matter expertise to support to the following:
Development of strategies to reduce technology and non-technology
barriers to AI adoption; Ensuring relevant missions are operating
consistently to identify and exploit modernization opportunities;
Coordination of information flow across the Directorate and with
other relevant Directorates; Management of taskers and monitoring
of performance measures; Elucidation of use cases for AI; and
delivering sustainable, useful, and reliable AI products.
- Works with mission teams to engage with potential customers
within the DOD and identifies and evaluates prospective
- Applies the principles, methods and techniques of user-based
design with an in-depth knowledge of complex computer-based systems
to support capabilities that include development of artificial
- Gathers and formalizes requirements for the Mission Initiatives
(MI) from participating services and agencies that will transform
capability needs into requirements that are detailed, actionable,
testable, and support the definition of discrete work tasks.
- Works with end-users to build and analyze user stories to
identify common users', system, software and interface requirements
for capability design and development.
- Works closely with Data Engineers and MI performers to create
and manage a Requirements Traceability Matrix and an Intended Use
- Identifies end user processes, software and other mission
issues that could be improved using AI.
- Captures and formulates final articulation of user needs that
will define the broader user experience by gathering and
incorporating end-user feedback from user interviews, usability
tests, surveys, data analysis, and similar methods.
- Translates/transforms user research information into actionable
user interface requirements and workflows.
- Designs and prototypes specific AI or ML solutions. Understands
user needs, behaviors, and motivations. Through empathizing with
the user, the analyst can inform design decisions and advocate for
- Works closely with Mission and Capability Delivery teams to
help determine product goals.
- Supports technical activities of the end users identifying
mission goals, desired metrics, data standards and user
- Works with National Mission Initiative (NMI) teams to define
and prioritize systems requests, define project scope, goals, and
deliverables that support end user goals.
- Coordinates research efforts involving voice of the customer,
qualitative and usability-oriented customer feedback, and industry
- Produces high quality solutions through hybrid wireframe and
visual designs, flow diagrams, storyboards, site maps and
- Collaborates with team members on user research, customer
testing, and iterative feedback loops.
- Rapidly iterates on design prototypes and working applications
that contribute to the design, development, and testing of AI/ML
tools and delivery methods.
- Develops mock-up solutions that can be implemented
- Tests and validates usability by monitoring and reporting
metrics, determining potential, leveraging research and analytics
to drive product updates and improved user experience.
- Coordinates technical requirements for the capability design,
with an emphasis on interface definition with government and
commercial stakeholders and organizations to evolve requirements
and to establish MOU/MOAs for interfaces with existing external
- Performs work involving new concepts and ideas for achieving
particular missions and goals, technological trends, significant
advancements in operational and mission requirements.
- Formulates overall design concepts and criteria, explores and
evaluates advanced proposals, reviews and assesses the overall
progress in the development effort; and coordinates efforts of
other representatives who are recognized as technical specialists,
as well as, representatives from other government agencies and
industry pursuing research and development projects involved with
the assignment. Converts overall objectives into development
programs and policies for others to use. Qualifications
- Active DoD Secret clearance required
- Bachelors Degree in human factors, psychology, communications,
computer science, visual design, or related field
- 8+ years of relevant work experience (6+ with Masters
- Experience with usability testing, including preparing test
plans and associated wireframes, facilitating test sessions,
analyzing data, and reporting and presenting results
- Experience with creating and documenting information design
concepts and solutions by various means, including wireframes,
prototypes, and task flow diagrams
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills,
and demonstrate experience and capability to make presentations to
and interact with end-users and Flag/SES level in DISA, OSD, JCS
and Military Departments/Agencies
- Must have prior experience conducting user interviews, and
- Any usability/ UX related certification (e.g. CUA) is a
- Must have/provide a UI/UX portfolio for review Additional
Information For more information about Barbaricum, please visit our
website at-- www.barbaricum.com . We will contact candidates
directly to schedule interviews. No phone calls please.
Keywords: Barbaricum, Washington DC , User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Designer - Department of Defense, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!