Research Scientist/ Senior Research Scientist
Posted on: October 19, 2020
Research Scientist/ Senior Research Scientist
AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and
biopharmaceutical company. Here, you'll have the opportunity to
collaborate with renowned scientists to find the targets which are
fundamental drivers of human disease. As one of the world's premier
biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on groundbreaking,
outstanding work that has a big impact on science and making a
difference in people's lives every day.
What youll do
As a Senior Research Scientist in the COPD research team in the
Respiratory and Immunology department (R&I) you will study the
biology of human airway and alveolar epithelium with the focus on
lung stem cells, immune cells, and pathogenesis of COPD disease.
You will study growth factor pathways that regulate lung stem cell
self-renewal and differentiation in health and disease,
epithelial-mesenchymal and epithelial-immune interactions using
patient airway models and patient-derived iPSCs at the tissue- and
you will also provide scientific input to the early stage of
research and development. This includes study design, analysis, and
interpretation of preclinical data and mechanistic studies in
human-based 3D culture systems or animal models.
Collaboration with colleagues within and beyond early R&I will
be crucial for you to be successful in your role and you will work
closely together with colleagues from Patient Safety, Discovery
science, Translational science, and late R&I Groups.
We will rely on you to:
- Lead and perform a range of lab-based experiments including
generating 2D and 3D culture models, phenotyping diseased cells
with cellular, molecular and functional assays.
- Isolated and utilized epithelial cells and immune cells from
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results
- Preparation of precise technical summaries, protocols,
quantitative analyses, and maintenance of appropriate
- Oversee the day to day organization of different components of
- Work collaboratively with other members of the teams who are
working on related research questions.
- Publish discoveries in high quality and impact journals.
Essential for the role:
Ph.D. in the field of cell biology, Molecular biology , immunology
or a related field with 3-4 years postdoc or industry
Senior Research Scientist
Ph.D. in the field of Cell biology, Immunology, Molecular biology
or a related field with 5-6 years postdoc or industry
Additionally, you possess:
- The knowledge of lung biology, physiology, and disease,
epithelial, and mesenchymal biology.
- Experience in stem cell culture and differentiation.
- Strong cell biology experience in tissue culture techniques,
isolation, and culture of primary cells and the use of co-culture
- Excellent skills in cellular and molecular biology techniques
(Western blot, qRT-PCR, immunostaining, ELISA) and fluorescence
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills and effective
presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and
senior management teams
- Proven ability to work independently and in collaborative team
Desirablefor the role
- Experience in advanced 3D imaging and single-cell RNA seq
- Experience in bioinformatics analysis and software
- Experience in the development of the in-vitro disease model and
in vivo mouse models and subsequent analysis, including but not
limited to COPD is a plus.
- Experience of leading and managing small group and
cross-functional collaboration activities
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it
and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small,
can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing
medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments
and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building
a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a
bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means were opening new ways
to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected
teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey!
So, whats next!
If you are ready to make a difference - apply today, and we'll make
it happen together!
We welcome your application no later than September 30th, 2020
Where can I find out more?
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that
individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview
process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other
benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request
Keywords: AstraZeneca, Washington DC , Research Scientist/ Senior Research Scientist, Other , Gaithersburg, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!