Principal Upstream Officer - Global Manufacturing
Posted on: March 28, 2020
Principal Upstream Officer - Global Manufacturing
Job #: req6743 Organization: IFC Sector: Upstream Grade: GH Term
Duration: 3 years 0 months Recruitment Type: International
Recruitment Location: Washington, DC,United States Required
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 4/6/2020 (MM/DD/YYYY) at
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The
International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank
Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the
private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000
businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence
to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most.
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to
stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income
Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations
(FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by
proactively working "Upstream" to create, deepen, and expand
markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects.
It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the
regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private
capital into productive investment in our member countries, and
addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on
policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and
sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs
and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and
to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms.
IFC is seeking a Principal Investment Officer with deep expertise
in early stage project development in the Manufacturing sector
(experience in Tourism, Retail and Property sectors would be added
advantage). The selected candidate will coordinate a team of
investment and operations officers focus on addressing the shortage
of investment-ready/bankable projects by providing development
capital and mobilizing IFC expertise to support project developers,
in exchange for the option for IFC to provide follow-on IFC
"mainstream" financing in the projects or initiatives supported by
IFC during the project development phase. S/he will have a global
coverage in leading the team to develop high-quality Upstream
pipeline globally under the supervision of the Global Upstream
Manager. S/he will also support policy work and other interventions
across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and
to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts. The successful
candidate would lead and coordinate the work of the pioneering team
that will consider the concept, structure and implementation of a
project development facility similar to Infraventures. Please visit
our website for more information on IFC's work in Manufacturing,
Agribusiness and Services.
Role & Responsibilities
The role and responsibilities of the position will include but not
be limited to:
- Contribute to the formulation, development, dissemination and
monitoring of IFC's Upstream Strategy, in coordination with the
Global Upstream Manager, to identify, assess, and prioritize new
- Identify and assess Upstream opportunities based on country and
sector strategies and market creation potential.
- Lead and oversee team to develop feasibility studies and
implementation plans for Upstream projects that lead to IFC
- Support Investment Officers in structuring, processing,
documenting and managing early stage project development
engagements. Coordinate and harmonize conditions across projects
globally and advise Investment Officers and regional management on
early stage project development in their region.
- Work with regional leadership to ensure identified early stage
project development engagements activities are properly
- Lead the design and implement scalable solutions and platforms
similar to "Scaling Solar" that can be replicated across
- Spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models
that can bring solutions to emerging markets.
- Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream portfolio
including monitoring progress against project milestones and
- Conduct sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of
various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects,
new products and platform businesses.
- Work with the World Bank to identify and help implement sector
and regulatory reforms that are needed to unlock opportunities for
- Collaborate with stakeholders and form partnerships with staff
across IFC and the World Bank Group, sponsors, clients and other
external parties to enable delivery of Upstream projects.
Knowledge Capture and Management
- Facilitate knowledge flow across IFC and the World Bank Group,
and promote adoption of new approaches and best practices for
Upstream activities and early stage project development.
- Help build external recognition of IFC's distinctive
capabilities in early stage project development and working
Upstream to catalyze greater flow of investment opportunities in
- Adapt, simplify, update IFC InfraVentures documentation and
templates for project development engagement in the manufacturing,
agribusiness and services sector in coordination with IFC
People and Resource Responsibility
- Support the Global Upstream Manager in staff recruitment,
mentoring and skills development as needed.
- Support the creation of incentives to motivate and reward
- Support in managing admin budget.
- PhD or Master's degree or equivalent professional qualification
in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science,
Engineering, or other relevant field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in project development
for a private sector project developer, including familiarity with
project management, contract/deal negotiations (concessions, EPC
and O&M contracts, etc.), and financial structuring.
- Hands on experience producing feasibility studies, hands-on
advisory and/or consulting functions and deep understanding of
investments in emerging markets.
- Deep understanding of financing constraints for projects,
especially greenfield projects in the manufacturing, petrochemical
and/or infrastructure sectors in developing countries
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group
and IFC's mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC's strategic priorities and changing
business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
- Capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and a proven
track record in new idea generation, business development, and
creating projects/programs from scratch.
- Strong understanding of the relevant sector and ability to link
policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and
mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level via the
- Experience engaging with private sector clients, local and
national governments and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering
business and market development.
- Experience in project/program management, including executing
against implementation plans with defined business development
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills;
demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make
concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Excellent people skills, openness to feedback, new ideas, and
ability to guide, and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we
continually search for qualified individuals with diverse
around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and
employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not
based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity,
orientation, or disability
Keywords: IFC, Washington DC , Principal Upstream Officer - Global Manufacturing, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!