Western Lead Organizer
Company: American Association of University Professors
Posted on: February 16, 2020
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is
pleased to announce a Western Lead Organizer position to be filled
as soon as possible. This is an exciting opportunity at a
critically important time in the AAUP, the academy, and the US
labor movement. The Western Lead Organizer will play a vital role
in identifying and implementing new collective bargaining campaigns
as well as internal organizing campaigns with existing units;
defining key issues; increasing the diversity of our membership;
creating and sustaining coalitions; mobilizing members; and winning
increased freedoms and protections for faculty, academic
professionals, and graduate student employees. The lead organizer
will ideally be based in Nevada and will travel widely across the
region, working under the direction of AAUP's Director of
Organizing. We invite you to join us in our critical work
organizing academic workers to defend and promote academic freedom,
shared governance, due process, and the economic security of the
Duties and Responsibilities: The Western Lead Organizer will play a
key role in developing and executing the regional organizing plan,
with a focus on organizing new collective bargaining chapters,
assisting our existing collective bargaining chapters with internal
organizing campaigns, and building advocacy membership in the
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Serving as the AAUP's regional lead on new collective
bargaining campaigns, including developing and implementing campus
organizing plans in keeping with the goals and objectives
identified in the regional and national plans.
- Developing and implementing contract and other issues campaigns
at our collective bargaining chapters/local unions. This may
include on-the-ground work to recruit and train contract action
- Developing and implementing internal organizing campaigns,
especially in right-to-work states.
- Developing and implementing advocacy organizing campaigns at
- Working collaboratively with AAUPs union partners on joint
organizing campaign plans.
- Supporting AAUP chapters and state conferences in the region
and helping develop and mentor diverse and talented grassroots
leadership that can run effective issues-based campaigns, build
membership, and increase the influence of our members on their
campuses and in their states.
- Representing the Association before other faculty
organizations, college and university bodies, and other unions and
- Coordinating with Association leaders and staff on specific
projects and long-range planning, including responsibility for
planning content for campus, regional, and national training
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five or more years of experience working for labor unions
required. Experience with white-collar unions preferred.
- Demonstrated ability with successfully developing and
implementing comprehensive internal and/or external union
organizing plans, including organizing timelines, benchmarks, and
- Demonstrated experience working with leaders and members from
national, state-level, or local affiliates to build strong
- Demonstrated expertise with organizing databases.
- Knowledge of higher education preferred.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work with professional
groups and individuals.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and computer
proficiency skills: including working familiarity with MS Office
- Ability to work independently within the context of a national
- Valid driver's license and a willingness to travel regionally
and nationally, sometimes on long-term assignment. A willingness to
live in the Las Vegas or Reno, NV areas is preferred.
- Willingness to work evening and weekend hours, as required.
- Associate degree required; bachelor's and/or advanced degree
Compensation Salary range: Starting salary of $80,000 for required
qualifications; higher salary for preferred qualifications and
experience. Generous benefits package, including health insurance
Position Classification: This position is designated as a senior
program officer in the Department of Organizing and is part of the
staff union bargaining unit. This is an exempt position and not
eligible for overtime pay.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate
on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion,
national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities,
genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other
characteristics unrelated to professional performance. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: American Association of University Professors, Washington DC , Western Lead Organizer, Other , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!