WGL - Technical Accounting and Policy Lead
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Job Description **** Hybrid schedule 3 days in office required
**** Performs research, evaluation and documentation of accounting
issues, manages and coordinates the update of Finance and
Accounting policies and procedures (P&Ps), updates and/or
assists with the development of Technical Accounting P&Ps,
manages the Finance Department's quarterly Change Control process ,
, and performs other special projects as needed. You Will:
- Performs the research and evaluation of accounting issues, new
business events, transactions, and contracts to assess their impact
on the Company's financial statements, including documenting the
accounting and reporting treatment, as needed.
- Monitoring proposed and newly issued Accounting Standards.
Performs impact assessment, implements, and documents the impact to
the Company's financial statements, processes and procedures.
- Work with the Chief Compliance Officer to ensure the Finance
Department's compliance with the Company's Policy and Procedure
- Manages the process to update P&Ps with the various P&P
owners and develop and finalize required P&Ps, including
updating develop and finalize required P&Ps, including updating
of P&Ps associated with new accounting standards and other
Technical Accounting P&Ps.
- Review the P&Ps issued by the Company's parent company to
identify differences to existing P&Ps and identify P&Ps
- Manage the Finance Department's Change Control program to
identify and report change throughout the Company that may have an
impact to the Company's financial statements, including training
the Finance team members responsible to reporting the change.
- Reviews the quarterly Change Control and Issue Summary report
and ensure that all changes and accounting issues identified are
appropriately documented by each department, in preparation for
review with the Controller and discussion with the external
auditors. Identifies accounting issues that require further
documentation and accounting research
- Manages the Controllers Learning Series, an internally
developed finance and accounting training program.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives to improve processes or
procedures that impact the Finance department.
- Perform other special projects as directed by the Senior
Manager, Technical Accounting and Reporting or AVP, Financial
Reporting and Technical Accounting You Have:
- Bachelor's degree in a business-related field required;
accounting degree preferred.
- 7+ years required or 4 years required with a Master's
- CPA required
- 4+ years of experience interpreting and assessing technical
accounting issues required
- Experience writing and implementing finance and accounting
- Experience with the development or implementation of internal
- Experience accessing and manipulating data or information to
create formal presentations.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting data and identifying
relevant issues in solving business problems, including evaluating
- Demonstrated understanding of U.S. GAAP and accounting
operations. Demonstrated ability to research, interpret and apply
accounting guidelines pursuant to FASB, AICPA, IASB, the SEC or the
FERC accounting and financial reporting requirements.
- Experience in or knowledge of the regulated energy industry
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport and effective working
relationships with business partners, supervisors and peers.
- Demonstrated ability to present ideas logically and concisely
to diverse audiences at all organizational levels, both verbally
and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to meet numerous and competing internal
and external deadlines, often under tight time constraints.
- Proven ability to use computer software and applications,
including Microsoft Office, for data management, research,
analysis, presenting business information and reporting purposes.
The Company values diversity in its workforce and encourages United
States military veterans and service members who meet the
qualifications to apply Why work at AltaGas? AltaGas is a North
American energy infrastructure company with a focus on owning and
operating assets that provide clean and affordable energy to our
customers. AltaGas assets include Washington Gas/WGL, SEMCO, and
Petrogas. Our talented team, nearly 3,000 strong, leverages the
strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain
to connect customers with premier energy solutions - from the well
sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and
businesses to new markets around the world. We deliver clean and
affordable natural gas to approximately 1.7 million customers'
homes and businesses through regulated natural gas distribution
utilities across four jurisdictions in the United States and two
regulated natural gas storage utilities in the United States. Learn
more about our team, vision, and strategy. To learn more about our
mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvYAAg21IuU #LI-Hybrid WGL
is an EO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled For Canadian hires : AltaGas
hires personnel on the basis of job-related qualifications. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a
person's ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin,
citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status
or disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable
law. For U.S. hires: U.S. affiliates of AltaGas are committed to
equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable
accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental
disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit
applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race,
ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status,
sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities,
matriculation, physical or mental disabilities, political
affiliation, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or
any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local
Keywords: Knewin, Washington DC , WGL - Technical Accounting and Policy Lead, IT / Software / Systems , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!