Registered Nurse -Adult Psychiatric Unit - Psychiatric
Company: Inova Fairfax Hospital
Location: Falls Church
Posted on: February 10, 2024
Registered Nurse -Adult Psychiatric Unit
Inova Fairfax Medical Campus is seeking a Part-Time, day shift
Registered Nurse on the Psychiatry Unit.
* This position is eligible for a Sign-On and Relocation bonus for
Inova Fairfax Hospital is proud to announce that the American
Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) awarded Magnet - designation,
the most prestigious accolade for nursing excellence, to our
hospital in December 2020. Currently, only 8.5% of hospitals in the
nation hold Magnet - designation and Inova Fairfax Hospital is
proud to be part of this select group. The new Magnet designation
is in addition to several other prestigious recognitions which
include: a five star rating from the Centers for Medicare and
Medicaid Services (CMS), being named by IBM Watson Health as one
the nation's highest performing hospitals, and among the top 10
Major Teaching Hospitals, an A for Patient Safety by The Leapfrog
Group, the #1 hospital in the DC metro area by U.S. News & World
Reports, and being nationally ranked in gynecologic care.
The in-patient adult psychiatric unit is a 41 bed unit comprised of
* 14 bed mood unit
* 15 bed acute psychiatric unit
* 12 bed psychiatric medical unit
The in-patient adult psychiatric unit is located at Inova Fairfax
Hospital, named the #1 Hospital in the DC metro area by U.S. News &
World Report's annual hospital rankings. Our inpatient units
provide our clients with safety, structure, and stabilization
provided by our inter-disciplinary team. Therapeutic group
activities, including creative art therapy, are held throughout the
day. The average nurse to patient ratio is 6:1.
As a Registered Nurse, you will provide knowledgeable and caring
clinical practice and care coordination through an understanding of
patients, families, nurses and healthcare delivery teams. To help
achieve our mission, you will consistently provide safe and
therapeutic care in a holistic/systematic way while incorporating
differences into the provision of care and conducting all patient
care in a patient/family centered manner. Your ability to integrate
knowledge, skills and experiences to meet the needs of patients and
families throughout the continuum, to include patient and family
education, is of vital importance. Communicating effectively and
working cooperatively with others while having respect for and an
understanding of other clinical disciplines is required. Your
ability to determine processes for delivery of care from direct
patient/family communication, technology and other healthcare team
member collaboration is essential.
* Performs comprehensive assessments by interpreting multiple,
sometimes conflicting, data sets and synthesizing their
* Formulates individualized plans of care based on assessment
findings and interpreting trends in patient populations to achieve
* Supports and empowers patients/families as they progress through
the healthcare continuum from health promotion to end of life
* Advocates for patients' rights from the patient/family
perspective and provides counsel while acting as a resource to
* Anticipates ethical, spiritual and cultural needs while
intervening to maximize patient outcomes. Coordinates healthcare
and alternate services for patient/family transition planning.
* Makes clinical decisions based on experience, patient population
data and intuition while promoting the development of clinical
decision making of all team members.
* Documents all patient care activities, as per documentation
standards, and assists healthcare team members with
* Evaluates the outcomes of documentation and contributes to
performance improvement initiatives related to documentation.
* Provides validation of clinical decisions for other staff members
and seeks validation from others for complex patients or unfamiliar
* Collaborates with the healthcare team and leads other disciplines
to meet desired outcomes. Mentors staff in understanding and
advocating for the importance of utilizing evidence based care
initiatives in nursing practice.
* Evaluates the process to achieve outcomes, anticipates patient
variances and makes revisions to plans of care.
* Communicates effectively and works cooperatively with others.
* Has respect for and an understanding of other clinical
* Uses an integrated approach toward patient outcomes.
* Demonstrates effective communication skills and assists in the
resolution of conflict among healthcare team members, patients and
* Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team and incorporates
their expertise to achieve desired patient outcomes.
* Keeps informed of unit initiatives and incorporates outcomes of
team/committee work into practice.
* Delegates patient care activities and coordinates unit
* Assists staff to assess patients' learning needs and outcomes
measurement of patient education.
* Accesses resources from all disciplines to achieve desired
* Demonstrates a willingness to give 100 percent and assist others
* Works with the team to achieve maximum productivity.
* Ensures improvements in practice settings by assuming
responsibility for self-development in lifelong learning.
* Demonstrates leadership skills in decision making and problem
* Demonstrates role model and leadership behaviors
* Acts as a clinical resource and serves as a mentor to healthcare
* Identifies own learning needs and develops professional
* Seeks opportunities to obtain education to enhance practice.
* Collaborates in the development and implementation of an
educational plan for identified needs.
* Reviews self-development plan and professional goals.
* Seeks new knowledge toward the progression of professional
* Demonstrates evidence of self-development by obtaining a minimum
of six formal contact hours.
* Maintains own Team Member Continuing Education Record.
* Provides direction and guidance to others regarding practice
while serving as a resource, preceptor and mentor.
* Conducts all patient care in a patient and family centered
manner. Integrates knowledge, skills and experiences to meet the
needs of patients and families throughout the continuum of care to
include patient and family education.
* Makes clinical decisions based on experience, patient population
data and intuition.
* Promotes clinical decision making development in all team
* Utilizes standards, guidelines and pathways for care
* Ensures that the process for delivery of care is synthesized from
direct patient/family communication, technology and other
healthcare team member collaboration.
* Serves as an empowering body to influence patient empowerment and
successful outcomes of financial and clinical quality through
relationships and access based knowledge.
* A minimum of 6 months of Registered Nurse clinical experience in
the acute care setting
* Education: BSN or MSN or If Associates Degree RN-Within 6 months
of start date, meet with nurse leader:---Identify which Accredited
School the employee plans to attend
* Submit a review of transcript from the school indicating the
required pre-requisites and timeline for taking the courses
* Provide a written plan with anticipated BSN completion date.
* Complete BSN within 24 months of start date
* BLS for Healthcare Provider Certification required
* RN licensed, or eligible to practice in the Commonwealth of
Virginia as a RN
* Proficient in English, strong verbal and written communication
skills. Exceptional interpersonal skill and the ability to display
a caring demeanor towards others. Proficient computer skills
For Internal Use Only: IND1 #LI-MA1
Keywords: Inova Fairfax Hospital, Washington DC , Registered Nurse -Adult Psychiatric Unit - Psychiatric, Healthcare , Falls Church, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!