Donation Services Technician 1 (EMT, Paramedic)
Company: Infinite Legacy
Location: Falls Church
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Job Title: Donation Services Technician 1
Department: Clinical Recovery
Reports To: Regional Clinical Manager, Organ Recovery
Effective Date: 1/1/2023
Pay Grade: 6
General Job Summary:
Under the general direction of the Regional Clinical Manager,
Clinical Recovery and while following all Infinite Legacy
procedures, policies and Standard Operating Procedures, the
Donation Services Technician 1 (DST 1) will utilize established
parameters, healthcare knowledge and expertise, to respond to
referrals for potential organ donor candidates received from the
hospitals served by the organization. The Donation Services
Technician 1 assesses, documents, and evaluates potential organ and
tissue donors while working collaboratively with various
departments and team members of the Infinite Legacy staff.
The Donation Services Technician 1 performs the organ back table
function for local procurements, fly-outs to other programs, renal
pulsatile perfusion, recovery of anatomical gifts for research and
performs biopsies as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree preferred. EMT, paramedic certification OR
some college instruction in a health care related field
- 1 year of healthcare experience in a clinical setting. Some
knowledge of basic medical terminology and human anatomy, as well
as the ability to understand and interpret patient charts and
laboratory reports. Duties/Responsibilities:
- Maintains a work schedule of a minimum of eleven, 24-hour call
days (or equivalent) per month in order to respond to organ
referrals and documents required donor data in the organization's
referral database. Additional shifts will be required if the
department is short-staffed.
- Evaluates medical suitability of potential organ and/or tissue
donors, utilizing information from medical records, history and
physical examination and current health status, and performs
comprehensive donor physical assessments.
- In collaboration with the Administrator on Call or designee,
requests and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests needed for
evaluation of suitability and clinical management of potential
organ and/or tissue donors. May be asked to bridge for case
initiation or donor management when needed with assistance from an
- Collaborates with the Organ Recovery and Donor Services
Coordinator to determine a plan of action for following potential
donor cases, deferral of non-eligible donor referrals or activation
of the appropriate Infinite Legacy team members.
- Assists the Organ Recovery Coordinator and other Infinite
Legacy team members in coordinating the logistics of a potential
donor case and other donor management priorities.
- Performs the role of organ back table specialist providing
support to the clinical team during the surgical recovery
including, but not limited to, the recovery of organs for the
purposes of research, in absence of the Surgical Director. Assists
with post-mortem care and final closure.
- Participates in fly-outs to other programs to facilitate organ
procurement in support of the accepting local transplant surgeon.
Collaborates with the Donor Services Center staff to facilitate
communications regarding organ/tissue suitability.
- Collaborates with the facilities team to ensure adequate par
levels for supplies.
- Participates in maintenance activities for Infinite Legacy
- Performs biopsies as requested.
- Participates in research studies when appropriate, which
enhance or improve the donation process.
- Serves as a representative of Infinite Legacy when recoveries
are off-site. These responsibilities include ensuring the recovery
team is performing in a professional manner at all times, obtaining
a recovery site, making appropriate notification to pathology or
security staff, obtaining a medical record and communicating with
the required partners. Strict compliance with the hospital's
identification and attire policy is a must.
- May train new DST staff to perform all functions of the role.
Meets all documentation requirements in the role of the preceptor
in conjunction with the Education Department.
- Performs renal pulsatile perfusion using appropriate machines;
cannulates and places kidneys on preservation machines, in absence
of the Surgical Director.
- Completes office duties (i.e. data entry, file audits,
equipment & supply preparation and/or transportation, etc.)
required as referral activity permits.
- Participates in self-scheduling process to ensure coverage, as
determined by organizational priorities.
- Maintains compliance with documentation and the organization's
Standard Operating Procedures. Working Conditions:
This position requires consistent availability, travel, and certain
physical, language, and communication abilities, including:
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases, hazardous
materials, and pharmacological agents, with little likelihood of
harm if established health precautions are followed.
- Occasional need to transfer organs, blood specimens, and/or
tissue samples from one location to another.
- Travel requiring use of air transportation, emergency ground
vehicles, ground limousine service, and/or driving a personal or
company vehicle for extended hours including nights, holidays, and
- Extended hours and travel to evaluate, manage and recover
organs/tissues from a local donor and/or to recover an imported
organ in a timely manner.
- Valid driver's license and reliable, insured automobile for
- Ability to move or traverse within an office, hospital, and
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate telephones and
- Frequent and prolonged use of computer screen, which may
produce visual fatigue.
- Ability to accurately communicate, converse, and exchange
information in English over the telephone and in person.
- Computer literacy in a Microsoft Windows environment and
demonstrated competency in the use of Microsoft Office software
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases, hazardous
materials, pharmacological agent, with likelihood of harm if
established health precautions are not followed.
- Physically demanding lifting, pushing, and pulling of supplies,
equipment, and carts with little likelihood for injury if proper
body mechanics and procedures are followed.
- This position is a Level 1 - High Level Exposure to Bloodborne
Pathogens and TB. Employees are in a hospital setting and have
direct contact with donors or donor organs and tissues through
donor management, recovery, and processing.
The employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to
this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential
functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested,
reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with
disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, absent
The above is intended to describe the general content and
requirements of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive
statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
This position requires employees to be fully vaccinated and be able
to provide proof.
Keywords: Infinite Legacy, Washington DC , Donation Services Technician 1 (EMT, Paramedic), Healthcare , Falls Church, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...