Posted on: May 28, 2023
General Summary of Position
The Medical Assistant performs clinical and administrative duties
in an ambulatory care setting under the supervision of a
physician/provider and/or a registered nurse. Duties may include
venipuncture, medication and vaccine administration, measurement,
and documentation of vital signs, and assisting providers with
patient exams, and telephone and clerical support. Position may
float to other sites/locations within the system.
M inimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED or equivalent required or
- completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program
- Less than 1 year 6 months experience working in an ambulatory
care medical office or equivalent required. Externship in a medical
or ambulatory health setting strongly preferred. Completed
externship program at Medstar Health may be substituted for the 6
months experience in ambulatory care medical office. required
- For Cardiology offices only: 6 months experience working in an
ambulatory care medical office or equivalent required, or
Bachelor's degree in exercise physiology/science or related major
or successful completion of a cardiac technician course.
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)-AAMA CMA (Certified Medical
Assistant) by the American Association of Medical Assistants
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)-American Medical
Technologists RMA (Registered Medical Assistant) through American
Medical Technologists or equivalent required within 12 months of
hire within 1 Year required and
- BLS - Basic Life Support BLS for healthcare professionals
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Clinical competency as verified within 90-day orientation
period and annually thereafter.
- Excellent customer service/patient interaction skills.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures,
quality, and safety standards. Complies with governmental
regulations and accreditation standards.
- Assists providers with patient preparation for examination,
minor office procedures and with the examination and education of
patients. Supports other members of the clinical care team,
assuring optimal best-practice patient flow; manages variable and
unpredictable patient volume throughout the workday. Provides
clerical support and serves as backup for the Patient Services
Coordinator or other team members as needed.
- Participates in daily team huddles to review and prepare for
scheduled patient visits. Screens all patients, regardless of visit
type, for preventative care needs, ongoing support, barriers to
care, safety concerns, and potential fall risk. Conducts
surveillance for transitions of care, urgent/emergent care, or
follow up tasks such as retrieval of documents associated with
- Conducts motivational interviews that include patient screening
and/or coaching on disease management ability, motivation to
change, learning care needs, and community outreach needs.
Identifies potential behavioral health needs of patients using
appropriate screening tools and notifies provider of findings.
- As part of a High Reliability Organization, reports actual and
potential problems concerning patients, families and associates
using established reporting protocols for MedStar Health and/or
work location. Participates in performance improvement initiatives
to improve care quality and safety.
- Ensures ongoing compliance with regulatory, accreditation, and
quality/safety standards by maintaining and auditing temperature
logs, ensuring medication supplies are current/unexpired, checking
and maintaining emergency equipment, area free of clutter, and
other related tasks.
- Participates in population management activities including an
awareness of the populations served and engages the patient in
self-management support, care/health goal setting, pre-visit
planning, and the capturing of information that leads to health
care improvement activities.
- Performs selected patient and laboratory testing consistent
with the scope of the practice, including but not limited to Point
of Care Testing, tuberculosis skin testing, electrocardiography,
pulmonary function tests, and vision and hearing testing (dependent
upon provider and site requirements). Removes sutures/staples after
the provider has examined the patient and written the appropriate
order. Documents these activities in the patient's electronic
medical record (EMR) or other venues based on policy.
- Documents clinically related activities accurately in the
patient's EMR; performs required patient follow-up: to include pap
smears, Pb levels, HIV, mammograms, and STD's. Collects and
processes specimens, completes requisitions, and documents in
logbook or other applicable forms/records.
- Provides escort for patients and assists with patient discharge
activities. Provides chaperoning for patients per policy.
- Fulfills infection prevention and environmental
responsibilities as assigned, which many include: Light cleaning
during clinic hours and cleaning of equipment. Updates appropriate
records of scheduled equipment maintenance and manages drug and
medical supply inventories.
- Provides telephone screening services to gather information
from patients, determine appropriate disposition and document per
established telephone screening protocols.
- Under onsite provider supervision may insert intravenous
catheter for physician initiated IV fluid therapy or administration
of intravenous medications. Under direct onsite physician
supervision, may insert, remove, and monitor urinary catheter for
procedures and prepare and administer oral drugs and injections
limited to intradermal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular. May
- Utilizes the EMR to propose patient medication refills for
provider approval. Completes requisitions for tests (if
applicable). Contacts insurance companies for Pre-authorizations
for patient medications and specialty referrals including insurance
- Floats to other sites/locations within the system as
appropriate and performs all duties at multiple sites.
- Attends scheduled meetings including, but not limited to,
regular staff meetings and training classes for safety, infection
control, OSHA, CLIA, BLS and others as required.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission,
vision, goals, SPIRIT values, objectives, and patient care
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Why MedStar Health?
At MedStar Health, we understand that our ability to treat others
well begins with how we treat each other. We work hard to foster an
inclusive and positive environment where our associates feel
valued, connected, and empowered. We live up to this promise
- Strong emphasis on teamwork-our associates feel connected to
each other and our mission as an organization. In return, our
effective team environment generates positive patient outcomes and
high associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national
- Comprehensive total rewards package-including competitive pay,
generous paid time off, great health and wellness benefits,
retirement savings, education assistance, and so much more. \r
- More career opportunities closer to home-as the largest
healthcare provider in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. region, there
are countless opportunities to grow your career and fulfill your
aspirations. \r \r
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation,
and research. Our team of 32,000 includes physicians, nurses,
residents, fellows, and many other clinical and non-clinical
associates working in a variety of settings across our health
system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based
locations, the largest home health provider in the region, and
highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation.
As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown
University for more than 20 years, MedStar Health is dedicated not
only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the
continuing education, professional development, and personal
fulfillment of our whole team. Together, we use the best of our
minds and the best of our hearts to serve our patients, those who
care for them, and our communities. It's how we treat people.
Keywords: Medstar, Washington DC , Medical Assistant, Healthcare , Brandywine, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...