Lactation Consultant RN - On Call, Caton Hill MOB
Location: Fairfax Station
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Summary: To coordinate and monitor the care of newborns and
provide lactation support to new mothers in the postpartum
- Employs an interdisciplinary approach to providing
comprehensive newborn assessment and lactation support; facilitates
the coordination of all necessary services for patients and
families. Coordinates patient care for hospital admissions,
specialty referrals, and ancillary support departments based on the
assessment from the newborn visit. IBCLC may consult with the
Provider for further assessment; coordinate with other IBCLCs,
Continuing Care services, or hospital staff. IBCLC may also
coordinate the member receipt of a hospital grade breast pump which
is considered DME.
- Within the assigned service area of operation, contacts every
woman who has delivered a newborn, offers telephonic assessment and
lactation support, generates a nursing care plan, and monitors
follow up. Assesses the needs of the mother and her newborn in the
post-partum period. Documents identified high risk factors and
problems, which may require consultation and intervention, and
plans for appropriate follow up.
- Collaborates with other members of the health care team to
identify parents educational and competency gaps related to
breastfeeding and newborn assessment. Conducts and documents
individual or family lactation or newborn visits in the Medical
Office Building to address the identified gaps associated with the
Newborn or Lactation visit.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team at
their assigned medical office building, assesses staff knowledge
and identifies competency-based educational needs of staff related
to breastfeeding patients and newborn assessment. In collaboration
with the KP-MAS Health Education department, provides both formal
and informal medical and nursing staff education services in a
manner that is consistent, uniform, efficient and costeffective.
Evaluates the effectiveness of the education and modifies
educational plans as needed in conjunction with the Health
- Maintains precise records, data, and statistics in order to
ensure accurate reporting and documentation of quality assurance
and improvement measures, and facilitate research efforts.
- Represents facility at quarterly Regional Lactation workgroup
- Represents the IBCLC program in facility and regional
committees and initiatives.
- Performs duties of the clinical nurse in assigned setting when
- Assists with development and updating of lactation protocols in
collaboration with a health care team of physicians, nurse
practitioner, midwife, social workers, and nutritionists.
- Teaches group prenatal newborn care and lactation classes.
- Manages DME breast pumps.Basic Qualifications:Experience
- Minimum two (2)years of nursing experience within the last
sixty (60) months with one (1) year in either a pediatric or OB-GYN
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
required.License, Certification, Registration
- This job requires credentials from multiple states. Credentials
from the primary work state are required before hire. Additional
Credentials from the secondary work state(s) are required post
- Registered Nurse License (Maryland) within 6 months of hire AND
Registered Nurse License (Virginia) within 6 months of
- Compact License: Registered Nurse within 6 months of hire
- Registered Nurse License (District of Columbia) within 6 months
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association
- International Board Lactation Consultant Examiners Certificate
from International Board of Certified Lactation
- Required to pass an IV administration test.
- Proficient in use of word processing and spreadsheet
- Able to work independently and to be part of an
interdisciplinary team.Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong newborn assessment skills.
- Experience with Breastfeeding support groups.
- BSN preferred
- MCH experience preferredWill be required to float to all
centers in NOVA/DCSM.Work hours may vary.Holidays and weekends may
be required.Job Schedule: Job Category: Nursing Licensed & Nurse
Keywords: Kaiser, Washington DC , Lactation Consultant RN - On Call, Caton Hill MOB, Healthcare , Fairfax Station, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...