Staff Nurse - PACU- FT- D/E
Company: Luminis Health Doctors Community Medical Center
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Staff Nurse - PACU
Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating
the care of the immediate post-anesthetic/post-operative patient.
Accurate and complete documentation, reflecting implementation of
the nursing process. Perianesthesia Nursing roles includes: patient
care, research, administration, management, education consultation
Role Specific Competencies
1. Actively participates in the development and / or administration
of continuing education for the Registered Nurse in PAC U.
2. Adheres to professionalism standards.
- Serves as a role model/resource for other team members and
exhibits flexibility and adaptability to change in department
- Identifies strengths and development needs of self.
- Identifies active/potential problems and seeks appropriate
solutions to those problems, and assumes responsibility and
accountability for "judgments" and actions.
- Appearance consistently complies with department
- Participates in orientation and training of new
- Utilizes work time productively.
- Willingness to cover varying shifts as requested.
3. Adheres to the standards of the American Society of
PeriAnesthesia Nurses Practice (ASPAN), The Joint C ommission and
4. Delivers quality nursing care to surgical patients during the
immediate post-anesthesia phase that is consistent with published
standards for nursing practice.
- Assessments and interventions are accurately and legibly
recorded, timed, dated and signature affixed.
- Identified patient problems are documented in appropriate
nurses note form.
- Changes in patient status are reported immediately to
anesthesia, attending physician, Surgeon, and Radiologist that
results in appropriate medical intervention.
- Documentation reflects implementation of the nursing process in
- Nursing interventions meet standards and result in no injury or
harm to patients.
- Develops, documents, implements and revises plan of care that
meets patient's current needs and results in appropriate nursing
- Reviews and carries out a discharge plan for teaching self care
required to outpatients and/or family members.
- Patient responses to interventions are documented.
- Orients new personnel as assigned to policies and procedures,
resulting in no errors on part of orientee during probationary
- Promotes and maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic
- Provides pain control and other comfort measures.
- Demonstrates appropriate clinical thinking and judgement which
promotes optimal outcomes.
- Maintains patient rights and dignity.
- Supervises and delegates duties to PC T, Patient Escorts, LPN,
Liaison as appropriate to promote optimum patient care.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Nurse Manager /
5. Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to provide quality
care services for special age specific populations, such as, but
not limited to, pediatrics and geriatrics patients
6. Knowledge and skill levels are maintained to ensure clinical
competency that ensures safe patient care.
- Clinical competency checklist is maintained and completed prior
to annual evaluation.
- Attends 80% of continuing education programs offered within the
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining a safe work environment
that promotes patient care activities.
- Complies with and enforces relevant hospital/departmental
policies and procedures.
- Incorporates applicable research and evidence into
- Participates in professional development / continuing
- Maintains personal accountability for professional
7. Organizes nursing activities efficiently and safely which
expedite patient care in a cost effective manner, within unique
- Completes assignments within allotted time frames that reflect
appropriate priority setting.
- Priorities established and implemented result in no delay to
- Able to problem-solve independently seeking assistance
- Utilizes equipment and supplies as intended resulting in cost
- Identifies co-workers' needs for assistance and responds
- Consults, collaborates and cooperates with peers and other
healthcare providers to improve quality, effectiveness and
efficiency of patient care.
8. Participates and supports unit level functioning.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- Participates in discussion of Quality Improvement
- Successfully completes all hospital and unit-based required
education courses as scheduled.
- Adheres to attendance and tardiness policy.
- Participates in unit based and hospital Performance Improvement
efforts and data collection as directed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current AC LS is required.
- Current C PR/BLS is required.
- Current PALS required.
- Current RN licensure in the State of Maryland.
- Hospital certification in Defibrillation, IV insertion blood
glucose monitoring (Accucheck).
- Recent PACU experience or one year critical care experience, or
two years Telemetry experience plus must attend Critical Care
course given at an accredited institution.
- RN graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
- Concentrates on moderate to fine detail for extended periods of
time with irregular telephone and other interruptions.
- Engages in frequent verbal and written communication using
acceptable medical terminology.
- Must be able to function in an environment where background
noises are a usual occurrence.
- Remembers schedules, tasks to be completed, where activities
left off, etc.
Routinely lifts objects over 50 lbs with good body mec
Welcome to Luminis Health
Get ready for a bright future with us as we ignite a new era in
community care. One that gives our patients easier access to what
they need, when and where they need it. We offer many opportunities
and locations for you to contribute your talents: Three hospitals
(Anne Arundel Medical Center, Doctors Community Medical Center,
McNew Family Medical Center), multiple outpatient services to
include imaging, lab, services, medical group, mental health and
substance use treatment centers, outpatient pavilions in Bowie,
Easton, Kent Island, Pasadena, Odenton and Waugh Chapel and a
We invite you to shine your light and join us in sharing optimism,
collaborating on innovation, and delivering quality care.
The future is bright. Yours and ours.
PATIENT- & FAMILY-CENTERED CARE
Patient- and family-centered care requires more than a skill set.
It requires a mindset focused on the principles of Dignity and
Respect, Information Sharing, Participation and Collaboration.
Patients and families are encouraged to be participatory members of
the health care team - helping to make decisions about their care
or the care of a loved one.
Our nursing quality councils are based on a three-tier
infrastructure - unit level, service line level, and organizational
level. Each level escalates to the next, allowing for strong
communication and collaboration between quality councils, as well
as within and between the service lines. Within the councils,
nurses formulate their practice questions, conduct literature
reviews, review research articles, and create quality improvement
projects geared to the specific needs of their patients.
Doctors Community Medical Center makes career growth and
advancement a priority for our nurses. We have a formal clinical
ladder program and clinical ladder coaches who can help you assess
your goals and guide you through the portfolio and application
process. We also offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities,
along with in-house seminars, workshops and access to continuing
education credits via HealthStream -.
Keywords: Luminis Health Doctors Community Medical Center, Washington DC , Staff Nurse - PACU- FT- D/E, Healthcare , Lanham, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!