Company: Medstar Research Institute
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Nsg-Rsrc Mgt-RN Float Pool
7503 Surratts Road
Support and Patient Services - Clinical
Evening / Night Shift with rotating weekend
* Responsible for the scrub duties in simple to complex surgical
interventions, assess the instruments, equipment, and supply needs
of each case assigned and is responsible to ensure that the plan of
care developed with the team is implemented according to defined
performance standards to ensure positive patient outcomes. The
Certified Surgical Technologist is dedicated to providing a safe
patient environment and accepts responsibility to assist in
on-the-job training of new team members upon request.
* Associates Degree, specialized in Operating Scrub Technology
* 1 -2 years prior experience as a Surgical Technologist
* Surgical Technologist Certification preferred
* CPR certification required
* Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Ability to comprehend and follow the policies and procedures for
MedStar Southern Maryland Center.
* Ability to read, write and speak or communicate in English to
successfully accomplish the essential duties of the position.
* Ability to demonstrate ethical behavior that supports the
hospital's mission, values and commitment to compliance with all
federal, state and regulatory laws. Inspires trust and exhibits
honesty and integrity within the scope of daily activities.
* Exhibits professionalism, courtesy and excellent customer
service, while interacting with patients, guests and
* Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of
culturally diverse backgrounds.
* Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
* Ability to assist in the care and the preparation of the surgical
patient by performing routine and delegated duties according to
standards and policy.
* Ability to demonstrate and to organize and manage time and
equipment effectively, setting appropriate priorities.
* Ability to work accurately and efficiently under time
constraints, and often in stressful situations.
* Ability to demonstrate skill and accuracy in communication both
oral and written.
* Ability to demonstrate knowledge of anatomy and physiology;
progression of surgical procedures, sterilization process, aseptic
technique, and safety standards in a surgical environment.
* Ability to perform simple mathematical functions correctly.
* Ability to willingly adapt to hours of availability to variable
* Ability to effectively function as a member of a collaborative
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* The Surgical Technologist (ST) is responsible for performing
scrub duties in simple to complex surgical interventions.
* Responsible for assessing and or assembling the instrument,
equipment, and supply needs of each case assigned and is
responsible to ensure that the plan of care developed with the team
is implemented according to defined performance standards to ensure
positive patient outcomes.
* Responsible for providing a safe patient environment and accepts
responsibility to assist in on-the-job training of new team members
* Assembles the necessary instruments, supplies and equipment,
checking items to assure they are in working condition.
* Applies and monitors the principles of aseptic technique
throughout the peri-operative phase.
* Performs intra-operative sponge and needle counts according to
policy and procedure.
* Ensures safety of the patient during the use of electrical
* Correctly collects and accurately labels specimens.
* Applies principles of proper body alignment during the transfer
and positioning of patients.
* Ensures and respects the patient's right to privacy, dignity and
* Assures the Environment of Care is maintained according to
* Labels and reports malfunctioning equipment to appropriate
* Participates in the evaluation of new supplies, equipment and or
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Medstar Research Institute, Washington DC , Surgical Technologist, Healthcare , Clinton, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!