Clinical Nurse - Department: Trauma/Ortho
Company: Howard University Hospital
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Job DescriptionBASIC FUNCTION:
- Provides and assures patient centered, cost efficient, safe,
culturally competent, linguistically sensitive and quality care by
adhering to evidence based practice; continuously assesses,
diagnoses, plans, implements and evaluates outcomes; follows
hospital, Nurse Practice Act, District of Columbia Board of
Nursing, accrediting and regulatory agency regulations regarding
standards of care.DIMENSIONS:
- Indeterminate.NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Interact(s) with staff, physicians, patients and their
families, other healthcare providers, Hospital and University
officials, and the general public. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Collaborates with patient/family and health care team to
determine health goals and interventions and to revise plans of
care as needed. Maintains awareness of the unit's periodic
statistics regarding core measures, nursing quality indicators,
customer satisfaction measures, and actively participates in
activities/behaviors that progressively improve the
- Provides nursing care consistent with the nursing practice
standards, policies and procedures established by the unit,
department, division, and institution, professional ethics and
standards, and legal requirements. Serves in the role of charge
nurse upon completion of the 6 month orientation period, and with
approval by the nurse manager.
- Participates in unit performance improvement programs through
ongoing design, assessment and measurement, and performance
improvement activities. Identifies patient care requirements by
establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients
and other persons in a position to understand care
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional,
psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and
families. Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient
care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand
condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering
- Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards;
measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards;
making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital
and nursing division's philosophies and standards of care set by
Nurse Practice Act of the District of Columbia, and other governing
- Resolves patient problems and needs by utilizing
multidisciplinary team strategies. Maintains safe and clean working
environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations;
calling for assistance from health care support personnel.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to
infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration
and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
Documents patient care services by charting in patient and
- Maintains continuity among nursing teams by documenting and
communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping
information confidential. Ensures operation of equipment by
completing preventive maintenance requirements; following
manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling
for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new
equipment and techniques. Maintains nursing supplies inventory by
checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed
supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying
receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to
accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by
communicating information; responding to requests; building
rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods. Contributes
to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Meets
all of the standards for a Clinical Nurse II as outlined in the
most recent Howard University Hospital Clinical Advancement
- Achieves appropriate Hospital performance, quality, and
productivity standards as established.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program,
the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences
Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program
training including the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training. Participates in
activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program
requirements. Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and
Procedures. Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and
staff. Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related
and appropriate to the position and area.
- The above responsibilities are a general description of the
level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and
are not to be considered as all-inclusive.CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrates competency in clinical skills, bedside manner,
infection control, physiological knowledge, administering
medication, medical teamwork, multi-tasking, listening, verbal
communication, health promotion and maintenance.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills. Demonstrates
willingness to learn. Knowledge of professional nursing and
biopsychosocial principles, theories, concepts, and their
adaptation to nursing practice.
- Knowledge of pharmacology of various drugs and their
therapeutic and adverse actions and complications. Competence in
both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work
relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University
officials, and the general public.CARES CRITERIA:
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect;
excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their
immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for
patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve
departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health
care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and
- The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the
Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and
student experience, organizational efficiency and the
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve;
treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient's
right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps
patient and proprietary information about the institution
- Anticipates the patient's and student's needs, presents as a
model representative of the institution and maintains high
standards of care while striving to improve performance and create
exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner
towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors
in the same way that they would want their family members or
themselves to be treated.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
- Associates Degree Required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the
District of Columbia.
- Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support
certification, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, CNOR
- At least 18 months clinical experience in acute care
nursing.Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift manually lift up to
35lbs and transfer/lift using the appropriate device to accomplish
the patient care task, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, pull,
push, reach, handle, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, (depth
perception, color vision), calculate, edit, evaluate, interpret,
and organize for extended periods of time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Howard University Hospital requires all
external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before
commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to
furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be
vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply
that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the
position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and
perform any other related duties, as may be required. The hospital
has the right to revise this position description at any time. This
position description is not be construed as a contract for
employment. The Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status,
religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with
disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding
provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment
opportunity, and Title IX should be directed to the Office of
Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at
Keywords: Howard University Hospital, Washington DC , Clinical Nurse - Department: Trauma/Ortho, Healthcare , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!