Graduate Nurse - (Upcoming & Recent Grads) - Relocation Offered!
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 16, 2022
- Job Summary
- The Graduate Nurse (GN) is responsible for the provision of
nursing care under the direction and supervision of a Registered
Professional Nurse (RN). The GN applies the nursing process and
performs delegated functions in accordance with applicable laws and
regulations and MedStar Health philosophy,policies, procedures, and
standards. In collaboration with the patient and family, provides
theory-based nursing care and coordinates care delivery with
various members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited
nursing program is preferred. Associate degree in nursing is
- No experience required. Prior experience as a licensed
practical nurse, nursing assistant or technician is preferred.
Satisfactory reference from the school of nursing attended.
- Pursuit of a license as a registered nurse in the State of
Maryland or District of Columbia. Must secure an NCLEX test date
within first 30 days of employment and officially take the exam
within 90 days from date of hire. (NOTE: must stop practicing
immediately as a GN if fails NCLEX licensure examination).
- BLS is required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform nursing technologies under supervision.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Registered Professional Nurse (RN) in the
provision of safe and efficient nursing care to a designated
caseload of patients. Assists in patient assessment and
observation, and with the implementation of the patient's plan of
care as delegated to by the RN.
- Confers with the RN in identifying patient care needs,
supporting and preparing patient's admission, transfer or
discharge. Provides relationship-based care that promotes
consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care
under supervision of the RN. Collaborates with other professionals
and participates in the interdisciplinary care rounds.
- Obtains information from patient interview and observation;
documents pertinent patient information including, but not limited
to, vital signs, weights, heights and delegated patient care
- Performs basic procedures and care activities including
insertion and removal of nasogastric tube, tube feeding, wound
care, dressing changes, suctioning, placement and removal of
indwelling urinary catheter, monitoring of intake and output, blood
glucose monitoring (point of care testing), maintenance of drainage
devices, and performance of EKGs. Collects specimens including
urine, stool, sputum, and blood.
- Provides respiratory therapy support including coughing, deep
breathing and sets up oxygen equipment and observes pulse oximetry.
Inserts peripheral intravenous catheter.
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients,
families, and other departments or associates to the RN. Responds
to questions from patients, families and significant others in a
prompt and courteous manner, referring them to appropriate
personnel if necessary.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to personnel and department policies,
procedures, quality and safety standards. Complies with regulatory
and accreditation standards.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission,
vision, goals, SPIRIT values, and patient care philosophy.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the
department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service
- Performs other duties as assigned. About MedStar Health MedStar
Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for
people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Washington DC , Graduate Nurse - (Upcoming & Recent Grads) - Relocation Offered!, Healthcare , Clinton, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!