RN Clinical Mentor - Relocation Offered!
Company: MEDSTAR HEALTH
Posted on: May 16, 2022
- Job Summary
- Acts as lead preceptor responsible for guiding the field
training experience for newly hired clinicians. Mentors new hires
throughout the first year of employment with the goal of improving
clinical associate engagement and retention. Offers guidance and
education to current field staff in clinical decision making.
Performs patient care and case management duties as needed in the
field, especially expertise in managing chronic care patients.
Provides clinical leadership/resources to field staff, under the
supervision of the Vice President of Patient Experience in
collaboration with the RN Clinical Training Specialist and
Operation Directors from his/her assigned teams.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing from accredited program or
combination of education with 3 years relevant nursing experience
including 1 year experience in a certified home care agency or
hospice; or promotion from MHHC Clinical Lead position.
- 3 years relevant nursing experience with Associate's degree, or
2 years relevant nursing experience with Bachelor's degree; 1 year
experience in a certified home care or hospice program. Prior
preceptor experience preferred.
- Valid RN license in all jurisdictions in which the employee
provides services to patients, Maryland, DC or Virginia. CPR
certification required. Valid driver's license in good standing and
dependable vehicle for transportation.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to teach, direct and guide professionals
to gain desired results. Demonstrated ability to function at a high
level of independence and autonomy. Strong leadership and
delegation skills required. The ideal candidate will have a passion
for teaching and excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal
and written communication. IV therapy, Foley catheter,
venipuncture, wound care/vac, and comprehensive medical-surgical
skills. Organizational skills. Excellent verbal and written
communication skills. Basic computer skills required. Knowledge of
home equipment/DME, home care reimbursement, and regulations
governing LPN's and HHA's.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established goals and
objectives established from Medstarmanagement team. Adheres to
department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety
standards. Completes annual Code of Conduct, Compliance and other
mandatory training. Complies with governmental and accreditation
- Serves as lead preceptor responsible for overseeing the field
training experience for newly hired nurses and home health aides.
Collaborates with and guides field trainers/preceptors to provide
new hire's the learning experiences they need to meet clinical
- Collaborates with the clinical training specialist and
Operations Director to develop an individualized clinical
orientation program for new staff. Updates the program as needed to
meet learning needs.
- Provides weekly case conference to orienteesduring introductory
period (90 days) and defined retention period (first 12
months).Provides feedback to new associates, doing peer-to-peer
reviews and being available as a clinical resource when
- Serves as field educator in the discipline, providing feedback
and suggestions to implement best practices and standardize
- Maintains a caseload of patients and meeting the expectation of
care described in the corresponding clinical job description.
Performs admissions, revisits, recerts, discharge and joint visits
to ensure quality patient care delivery and excellence in patient
- Collaborates with the Operations Director and RN clinical
training specialists in building a caseload for the new staff and
facilitates their transition from orienteeto functional member of
- Acts as field mentor to clinical staff and provides Operations
Director and/or RN clinical training specialist with input
regarding team members' work performance. Recommends and provides
additional education based on clinical skill needs or problems
identified through the QA process or at the request of the staff
member or Operations Director and/or RN clinical training
- Conducts chart reviews during newly hired associates' first
year and assures that admissions, recerts, and discharges in the
patient documentation are accurate and that proper utilization and
clinical needs are being achieved.
- Performs Joint Visits and participates in mock surveys as
- Assists with patient complaint resolution. Communicates with
patients, care givers, and interdisciplinary staff to resolve
actual or potential issues with the patient.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other
departments. Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service
improvement teams, meetings and on committees representing the
department and agency in community outreach efforts. Enhances
growth and development and enriches personal knowledge and skill
through participation in educational programs and
- Responsible for clinical outcomes and utilization
- Serves as Clinical resource / triage nurse to patient,
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the
department and hospital in community outreach efforts. Participates
in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs otherdutiesas assigned. About MedStar Health MedStar
Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for
people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MEDSTAR HEALTH, Washington DC , RN Clinical Mentor - Relocation Offered!, Healthcare , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!