Intake Counselor (RN/MSW)
Company: Psychiatric Institute of Washington
Posted on: November 22, 2021
ResponsibilitiesThe Psychiatric Institute of Washington provides
comprehensive behavioral healthcare for adolescents, adults, and
senior adults suffering from mental health and addictive illnesses.
PIW is a 130 bed, short-term, acute care hospital offering
inpatient, partial and intensive outpatient hospitalization, as
well as specialized treatment programs for chemical dependency. PIW
has an excellent reputation as an innovative hospital with caring,
dedicated staff, experienced in the delivery of behavioral
healthcare. Situated in the safe, historical Tenleytown
neighborhood, PIW is one mile from the Tenleytown Metro stop and
within walking distance to local cafes and restaurants.Benefit
Highlights:Our employees are our most valuable asset and we are
dedicated to provide a challenging and rewarding work environment
to all our employees.
- Generous Paid Time Off (15 days of personal leave, 8 days of
holiday leave and up to 30 days of sick leave in a year)
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug
- 401(K) with company match and discounted stock plan
- UHS employee discounted stock option plan
- Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repay Program
- Employee Assistant Program (EAP)
- Life Insurance and Disability Insurances
- Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Metro SmartTrip Benefits
- Career development opportunities within UHS and its 300+
- Tuition AssistanceBASIC FUNCTION:The Intake Counselor is
responsible for all Intake activity associated with the proper
admission of patients from the ages of 5-65+. Must be able to
relate to psychiatric and clinical dependency patients and their
families. Must also be able to interact cooperatively with other
PIW staff as well as physicians and referral sources.ESSENTIAL
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes all paperwork appropriately.
- Responds to calls in a manner that is professional, courteous,
organized, directive, and caring.
- Sets appointments within 24-hour time frame with callers for
diagnostic evaluations with appropriate clinicians.
- Follows up with clients to confirm appointments.
- Performs needs assessments on all appointments scheduled.
- Follows up on all clients who do not show up for appointments
with telephone calls or letters to offer a rescheduling
- Makes appropriate dispositions based on individuals' clinical
needs and resources.
- Assists the patient in understanding his/her insurance benefits
and available options.
- Orients patients who are to be admitted to the hospital to
- Offers and conducts hospital tours to perspective patients and
- Meets with, as requested, patients who are in need of patient
- Completes and files all inquiry sheets.
- Follows up on all inquiries until supervisor closes the
- Completes and processes Treatment/Discharge plan form
- Ensures that client completes pre-evaluation questionnaire form
and that form is filed with the Admission Office.
- Completes financial arrangement form and distributes copies to
patient and Admission Office.
- Completes within 24 hours admission referral source and sends
to appropriate program director.
- Updates and expands community resource file.
- Tracks and updates admissions and discharges every shift.
- Reports follow up need on a case-by-case basis every
- Prepares summary reports of previous day Intake activities for
- Communicates accurate insurance identification information to
the admissions department.
- Has knowledge of and is able to communicate about benefits
provided by common insurance providers.
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with Program
Directors around admissions, patient satisfaction, and patient
- Functions as Admission service in terms of census tracking and
admissions during night shift.
- Represents Intake Services at census meetings as assigned.
- Obtains primary referral source information on all inquiries
and needs assessments.
- Calls referral sources EAPS and/or treating clinicians as
- Calls referral sources to thank them for referrals at time of
- Calls area clinicians when a patient is referred out to
- Orients new attending doctors and allied health professional to
- Assists with training of back-up staff for telephone and
- Participates in weekly staff meetings.
- Reviews test call results weekly and develops corrective action
plan as needed.
- Plans work schedule to meet demands required of 24-hour
- Reviews assessments, dispositions, and conversion rates weekly
in clinical supervision.
- Meets daily with supervisor to prioritize follow-ups, difficult
dispositions, tours, etc.
- Assists with collection of QA data as assigned.
- Reviews QA data and participates in strategizing solutions to
- Assists with planning and teaching staff development
- Participates in Hospital Committees as assigned.
- Accepts responsibility for professional growth and
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and supports the
objectives of the hospital's marketing and guest relations
philosophy through internal and external communications and
interactions with all levels of staff, patients, family members,
guests, communityQualificationsMINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Master's degree from an accredited university in mental health
field with demonstrated skills and experience in clinical
- Preferred: Registered Nursing Degree with psychiatric
experience or advanced degree in mental health field with
experience in a psychiatric setting.
- Ability to work in high stress work environment and maintain
high energy level to attend to varied tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport quickly and confident
use of skills for interviewing, crisis intervention, and clinical
assessment.EEO StatementAll UHS subsidiaries are committed to
providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment
opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS
subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly
support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement,
promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity,
and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.We believe
that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our
success.NoticeAt UHS and all subsidiaries, our Human Resources
departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates
with matching skillset and experience with the best possible career
at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly
efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the
recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request
financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit
card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters
will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail,
Gmail, Yahoo Mail etc. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or
job-related email, let us know by contacting us at:
https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449
Keywords: Psychiatric Institute of Washington, Washington DC , Intake Counselor (RN/MSW), Healthcare , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!