Director, Financial Planning, Reporting and Budgeting
Company: College of Charleston
Posted on: September 21, 2023
This position plays a key leadership role in our Finance
Department.This role will support senior stakeholders to forecast
future needs using a long-term planning process and make informed
decisions that improve company performance. The Director, Financial
Planning and Budgeting, is responsible for leading and managing all
reporting and budgeting functions within the organization. Duties
include overseeing the annual planning and budgeting process and
translating strategic operating goals into financial and
performance targets. For this role we seek a collaborative partner,
a decisive and influential communicator, and an analytically
oriented finance leader. This individual will interact at the
leadership level and guide the network of Business and Operations
professionals across all departments in the organizations. This is
a hybrid position based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Chief
Financial Officer (CFO). ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
- Lead the organization-wide budgeting, forecasting, long-term
planning, implementation and business strategic analysis. This
includes conducting financial analysis, modeling, and forecasting
reports to ensure efficient financial operations.
- Ensure the appropriate levels of cross-organization
coordination of the annual planning and budgeting process through
effective communication, integration of business processes in
operations, technical design, and administrative support functions.
Present updates to the Chief Financial Officer to ensure timely and
efficient decision-making support. Be the trusted advisor to the
CFO for confidential cross functional resource allocation
strategies and analytics.
- Act as finance business partner with department heads, advising
leadership about resource utilization, modeling performance
scenarios, and guiding them through the annual planning and
- Provide strategic subject matter expert-level input to the
upcoming review of operation and financial planning tools, ensuring
that the organization's future global requirements are incorporated
into the recommendation.
- Manage the accounting software system, Intacct, to ensure
alliance with budget process.
- Liaise with our budget software vendor to ensure appropriate
cost-effective levels of support to implement enhancements to the
budget system as needed.
- Design and implement dynamic and flexible
projection/forecasting processes that enhance the timely allocation
of resources, including achievement of annual budget goals,
performance trends in expense and revenue, and drivers of
performance variance vs budgets and prior years.
- Identify and train staff in effective budgeting and forecasting
- Develop system-based analytic models that explore new and
ongoing issues about organization-wide performance, including risk
and opportunity-based scenarios, budget accuracy, staff program and
organization efficiencies, and long-term trend performance for
visibility to the Chief Financial Officer to make strategic
business decisions that inform the Board of Trustees
- Interpret financial data to identify trends and potential
problems that may affect the organization's financial health.
- Prepare and distribution of financial statements, coordinate
with external auditors, and identify areas for improvement in the
- Ensure that reports, filings, and documentation comply with the
organization policies, professional standards, and GAAP reporting
- Supervise the Manager of Financial Planning and Budgeting
position and the duties of that role
- Oversee all financial reporting activities, ensuring accuracy
and compliance with regulatory requirements
- Manage projects and provide ad-hoc financial analyses to
support the Chief Financial Officer
- Performs other duties as assigned. REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE,
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, or finance, with a minimum of
10 years of experience; OR a relevant MBA degree/CPA.
- 10 years of professional experience with 7-10 years of
experience in Financial Planning & Budgeting, preferably including
a management role in the not-for-profit sector
- 3+ years in leading organization-wide planning and budgeting,
including translation of goals into targets, framing executive
level critical resource allocation decision making, and enabling
transparent and efficient budgeting to build and assign
accountability for results.
- Ability to create and manage organizations budgets.
- Prior experience ensuring that budgeting systems are efficient,
current and align with performance reporting to address diverse
operating and management audience needs.
- Track record of leading change management initiatives with
significant organizational impact.
- Prior success influencing and building relationships with
leadership teams and colleagues in multiple departments, including
Publication and Membership.
- Proven supervisory experience and effectiveness in a matrix
- Expert skill levels inMicrosoft Office Suite such asExcel,
PowerPoint and high-impact graphics software (e.g., Tableau)
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a fast-paced, mission driven
growth-oriented organization, requiring flexibility and
adaptability to changing organization priorities.
- Demonstrated influence, communication, and presentation
- Proven track record of managing projects and achieving
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take
- Excellent managerial skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Thorough understanding of budgetary and accounting principles,
practices, and policies.
- Excellent managerial skills and ability to evaluate the work of
- Working knowledge of organizations' applicable financial
practices and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of
state and federal tax rules and regulations. EOE, including
Keywords: College of Charleston, Washington DC , Director, Financial Planning, Reporting and Budgeting, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!