Business Strategy and Development - Business Development Manager CGP
Company: American Bar Association
Posted on: September 19, 2023
The American Bar Association (ABA) was founded on a commitment
to advance the rule of law in the United States and beyond by
providing practical resources for legal professionals, conducting
law school accreditation, developing model ethics codes and more.
Today, the ABA remains a member-based organization that works to
ensure access to justice for all, a fair legal process, and respect
for the rule of law at home and across the globe.
The ABA is committed to service and refining the standards that
guide the legal profession. ABA staff are provided multiple types
of continuing education and career development opportunities. Your
work will help eliminate bias, enhance diversity, and advance the
rule of law throughout the US and around the world.
The ABA recognizes the value staff contribute to our success
through a generous benefits package that protects their health and
their financial security. The ABA's wide array of benefit offerings
include 401(k), medical, dental, vision, flexible spending
accounts, health spending accounts, supplemental life and
disability insurance, prepaid legal programs, and a complimentary
membership to the American Bar Association, which offers additional
Flexible/hybrid work arrangements may be available for residents of
CA, DC, IL, IN, IA, MD, MI, MN, TX, VA, and WI. Residency
requirements may apply. ABA employees are eligible to apply for the
Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF).
The Business Development Manager provides cross-cutting
coordination and support for new business development activities
including contributing to long-term strategic and business
development plans at ABA Global Programs. The Business Development
Manager plays a key role in all aspects of new business acquisition
at ABA Global Programs through three key functions: (1)
incorporating business development and proposal tracking related
data to position ABA Global Programs to win new business, and
working with teams on proposal efforts, including contributing to
project design and technical, partnering, and staffing strategies;
(2) managing proposals to public and private funders, contributing
to a highly competitive win rate; and (3) developing capacity of
ABA Global Programs staff in business development-related
Essential Job Functions and Essential Job Functions and
- Develop a clear understanding of ABA ROLI's current project
portfolio and staff and capabilities and communicate to potential
consultants and clients
- Responsible for coordinating and disseminating business
intelligence and positioning information, when assigned to a
specific country or specific opportunity.
- Consider analysis of internal business development and proposal
tracking related data as well as potential opportunities,
intelligence, and information from positioning efforts and prepare
analysis for specific bid recommendations.
- Lead ABA Global Programs capture efforts (recruiting
candidates, conducting meetings with potential organizations as
needed, identifying a competitive edge for a compelling,
responsive, and high-quality responses to solicitations).
- Lead development of marketing materials for donors and partners
to establish ROLI presence and visibility in target countries.
- Contribute to BD and ABA Global Programs' strategic planning
and implementation. Proposal Development
- Support development of a competitive proposal including win
strategy, partner strategy, and cost strategy.
- Manage recruitment efforts for proposals, including through
communicating about and coordinating interviews as appropriate, and
participating in decision making and revision of personnel sections
for inclusion in proposals, as well as recruitment of consultants
for proposal development.
- Manage research and identify relevant materials for inclusion
- Manage ABA Center for Global Programs' relationship with
sub-contractors and partners. Help identify potential partners and
develop pre-teaming agreements.
- Manage research and identify relevant materials for inclusion
- Help manage the proposal development process for assigned
opportunities, including contributing to writing and editing.
- Coordinate with technical and finance staff to develop
best-value cost strategies and ensure a unified strategy in both
technical and cost proposals.
- Develop and maintain the proposal calendar and monitor
adherence to the defined process and deadlines for technical
proposals, rosters/recruiting, proposal budgets, production
schedules, and quality standards for proposals.
- Edit proposals and other ABA Center for Global Programs
documents and ensure formatting of proposal documentation adheres
to ABA Center for Global Programs style.
- Create and edit compliance matrices to ensure proposals meet
RFP requirements. Capacity Development
--- Manage the development of training materials and training
--- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field including law,
international relations, etc.
- 4 years relevant work experience in international development,
including demonstrated experience working on new business
development, and serving as proposal manager, coordinator, or
- Knowledge of US Government proposal processes and funding
mechanisms, especially with USAID and U.S. Department of
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically.
- Excellent research, data analysis/synthesis, writing,
facilitation, graphic design, and presentation skills. Preferred
Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Fluency in Spanish or French.
- Master's degree The American Bar Association is an Equal
Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes
including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women,
minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are
encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act
(ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an
accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American
Bar Association, please call 312-988-5188.
- Pay Type Salary
Keywords: American Bar Association, Washington DC , Business Strategy and Development - Business Development Manager CGP, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!