Regional Advocacy Director, Midwest Region
Company: Tobacco-Free Kids
Posted on: May 28, 2023
The Regional Advocacy Director is responsible for providing
hands-on strategic and tactical support to tobacco control
campaigns and coalitions on legislative, ballot and/or regulatory
issues at the local and state levels. This position, based in the
Midwest Region, supports selected city and state campaigns and
coalitions, and reports to the Vice President, State
Advocacy.Applicant must live (or be willing to relocate to) a
city/state within the Midwest Region which will likely include: MN,
WI, MI, IL, OH, WV, KY, TNWHAT YOU'LL ACCOMPLISH:
- Provide strategic, tactical support on behalf of Campaign for
Tobacco-Free Kids to state and local campaigns and coalitions in
- In selected locations and in collaboration with partners, lead
the development and implementation of comprehensive campaign plans
to address Tobacco-Free Kids' top policy priorities.
- Mobilize other Tobacco-Free Kids resources and personnel as
- Actively support authentic inclusion of priority population
groups and individuals in campaigns and coalitions.
- Represent Tobacco-Free Kids at national, state, and local
- Interact with policymakers and other key officials as
- Work with the Communications Team to develop local/state
communications plans for campaigns, interact with local media as
needed to be source and spokesperson on behalf of the organization
and/or local coalitions.
- Maintain strong communications with the Vice President, State
Advocacy, and other key Tobacco-Free Kids personnel.
- Maintain positive relationships with national and local partner
organizations. Ensure good coordination of efforts with partners in
- Maintain good communication with other Tobacco-Free Kids
departments and staff to inform them of legislative developments
within the region.
- Attend weekly conference calls and produce status
- Manage between 10-15 consultants in your region by actively
managing tasks, and overall consulting agreements.
- Manage large campaign budgets of up to $2M which includes
contract management, scope of work development, etc.
- Recommend funding to state and local groups and vendors, help
negotiate contract deliverables, and oversee all contractors within
- Assist state coalitions with bill drafting, lobbying, media
advocacy, grassroots development and mobilization, and grant
- Mobilize Tobacco-Free Kids' resources as appropriate on behalf
of specific advocacy campaigns.
- Develop and manage strategies to recruit, retain, and mobilize
grassroots activists in the field.
- Serve as a resource to states on policy issues.SKILLS YOU'LL
BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in political science or other
- Seven (7) years of successful experience in executing and
managing legislative campaigns and/or ballot referendum initiatives
and/or advocacy-oriented membership or nonprofit organizations,
trade associates, or unions.
- Experience conducting community outreach, grassroots and
grasstops cultivation, lobbying, field strategy development, and
public education efforts.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of advocacy.
- Knowledge of state legislative and political processes.
- Experience with and commitment to addressing health disparities
and grassroots mobilizing among priority population groups.
- Previous experience in tobacco control preferred but not
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
while juggling projects and deadlines.
- Experience working with broad-based, diverse coalitions.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of computer
software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, and Outlook.WHY JOIN THE CAMPAIGN FOR TOBACCO FREE
- You will be a part of a respected global health advocacy
organization that works to create meaningful change through policy
changes and save lives in our neighborhoods and in communities
- You'll receive a generous benefits package including:
- 100% company-paid health and dental for you; 70-80%
contribution to these coverages for your dependents.
- Paid parental leave benefits (4 weeks paid maternity/paternity
leave), in addition to federal and local leave provisions.
- 403b plan participation (with 9% company contribution)
- 10 paid company holidays, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 5
personal days (on an accrual basis each calendar year)The Campaign
for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe
our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported
by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding
of social and cultural issues can help make The Campaign's work
more inclusive. We encourage qualified applicants of all ages,
racial, economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, ability and
gender expressions, national origins and veteran statuses to apply.
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEWThe Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and its
Global Health Advocacy Incubator program represent our collective
efforts to strengthen public policies which reduce tobacco use and
its deadly toll in the United States and around the world, as well
as other public health threats contributing to death and disease.
Our organization has a singular focus: to make the world a safer,
healthier place for everyone. Candidates are encouraged to review
our website at
Keywords: Tobacco-Free Kids, Washington DC , Regional Advocacy Director, Midwest Region, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...