Office Operations and Programs Manager
Company: American Physical Society
Posted on: May 16, 2022
American Physical SocietyID: 1234Location: Washington,
DCDepartment: External Affairs
Office Operations & Programs Manager
Who we are:The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit
membership organization working to advance and diffuse the
knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals,
scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and
international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members,
including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and
industry in the United States and throughout the world.Position
The primary role of this position is to assist the Chief External
Affairs Officer with administration of the APS Office of External
Affairs (OEA), with specific focus on the support for the Panel on
Public Affairs (POPA), Physics Policy Committee (PPC) and APS
Congressional Science Fellowship Program. The Office Operations and
Programs Manager is a key member of the OEA team and supports the
positive outcome of all projects, initiatives, and strategic
activities in concert with the Director of Government Affairs,
Director of International Affairs and other OEA staff members. This
position will require that you spend time in-office, as well as at
various geographically dispersed events and meeting attendance as
instructed by your Supervisor.
The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment
and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a
majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS
values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of
backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an
outstanding total compensation package including salary,
outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
Is This You:
- Works closely with the Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO) on
special planning and departmental projects.
- Oversees operational budgets related to APS DC Office,
Government Affairs, Panel on Public Affairs, Physics Policy
Committee, Congressional Visits, Lobbying, POPA Studies,
International Affairs, and the Congressional Fellowship
- Coordinates with and assists the CEAO and GA management staff
regarding all activities of POPA, PPC, and APS member advocacy
- Coordinates with the Panel on Public Affairs through all phases
of APS, Board, and Unit Statement review and approval.
- Organizes and coordinates orientation of new members of
- Organizes and coordinates the selection of new members of
- Undertakes related duties and special projects as assigned by
the Chief Government Affairs Director in coordination with the
Director of Government Affairs, Director of International Affairs,
and other OEA staff.
- Manages administration of POPA including: arranging study
committee meetings, taking meeting minutes, researching relevant
topic materials, and arranging congressional meetings
- Serves as APS representative for the Congressional Science
Fellowship Program; responsible for the preparation and
coordination of the CSF candidate interview and selection
- Coordinates monthly FIAP Board ExComm meetings and organizes
FIAP events at APS March Meetings.
- Assists departmental staff with all aspects of planning an
in-person or virtual meeting/event in the APS DC office.
- Provides administrative support to include, but not limited to:
managing staff calendars, arranging travel, processing expense
reports, coordinating internal & external meetings, placing office
supply orders, planning special events.
- Prepares and submits all federal lobbying reporting filings, in
compliance with federal regulations.
- Assists with staff appointments; serves as ancillary human
resources contact for OEA employees.
- Identifies opportunities for staff development.
- Maintains a pleasant work environment, ensuring high levels of
organizational effectiveness, communication and safety.
- Uses and maintains strict confidentiality, discretion, and
judgment in dealing with confidential, sensitive and controversial
issues in all aspects of work
- Organizes and coordinates administration duties and manages
day-to-day office operations.
- BS/BA Degree
- PMP Certification (current) or CAPM Certification (current)
and/or comparable project management certifications highly
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Project management experience. Familiar with standard concepts,
practices and procedures of Project Management.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills and the ability to
build relationships with staff and volunteer leadership.
- Excellent judgment with a high degree of discretion and
- Familiar with non-profit organization structure and
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to do complex tasks
and take initiative.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to address and
solve problems quickly.
- Experience planning and executing meetings and events.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well within a team, as well as
- Five years administrative experience.
- Proficiency with Zoom, Slack, Microsoft Office Suite and Google
Travel: This position will require in-office work, travel to
various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by
This is Us:Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing
the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote
physics, and serve the broader physics community.At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an
active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential
role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an
organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we
conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee
has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and
actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core
Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid
- retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based
on medical plan enrollment
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100%
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100%
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse &
dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes
one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- 10 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn
Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society
not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or
applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or
citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran
status, protected military status, physical or mental disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence
victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with
regard to any employment practices, including recruitment,
advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading,
training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments,
benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of
employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without
reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of
the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American
Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
To request reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human
Resources at email@example.com. PM21 All APS Employees must be vaccinated
and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal
Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or
religious exemption. The APS has a "remote first" concept that
promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical
work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from
remote work locations. We welcome you to apply today!
Keywords: American Physical Society, Washington DC , Office Operations and Programs Manager, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!