Company: Greater Washington Community Foundation
Posted on: May 16, 2022
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW The Greater Washington Community Foundation
ignites the power of philanthropy, leads for community impact, and
responds to critical community needs. Since 1973, The Community
Foundation has been a trusted philanthropic partner to our generous
donors and nonprofits working to create lasting change in DC,
Montgomery County, Northern Virginia, and Prince George's County.
As the region's largest local funder, we have invested more than
$1.4 billion to build racially equitable, just, and thriving
communities where everyone prospers. Today, our strategic focus is
to close our region's racial wealth gap so that people of all
races, places, and identities reach their full potential. POSITION
SUMMARYReporting to the Managing Director, Finance. The Director,
Finance has primary responsibility for the accounting functions for
the Foundation, which includes responsibility for activities
leading to the generation of consolidated financial statements,
budget preparation and monitoring, and implementing and maintaining
appropriate internal controls for the organization. Is the primary
source of information for independent audits of the Foundation's
financial statements; works closely and productively with
independent auditors. Plays a lead role in the preparation of
various Federal and State tax returns, working closely with
external tax preparation firm. In addition to the duties described
in this position description, every role at The Community
Foundation is expected to contribute to the overall success of the
organization and its goals. This may mean that team members will be
asked to take on other tasks that may not be listed here. Examples
may include working on a project or specific task outside of your
standard area of responsibility, participation on an
organization-wide task force or special initiative or being asked
to support a colleague when needed. Any additional tasks will be
determined by the manager of this role in coordination with the
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the quarterly fund statements process, year-end
closing process, and annual audits preparation in collaboration
with the Controller.
- Leads the full annual regular and A-133 audits processes with
assistance from all other department staff and collaboration with
- Facilitates preparation of all annual tax returns with
assistance from Controller.
- Oversees the process managed by the OCIO that ensures all
separately managed accounts adhere to existing and updated
investment guidelines/IPS and are reviewed with the investment
advisors on a regular basis for compliance.
- Supervises investment staff and works closely with OCIO in
providing support in investment reconciliations, cash flow
operations, portfolio rebalancing, administration, monitoring,
compliance and reporting for investment activities.
- Manages all investment related paperwork (openings, closings,
modifications etc.) and works with the outside financial advisors
and internal authorized officers to execute and finalize such
- Completes forms 8282 as sales of hard to value investments
- Develops training material and provides ongoing training and
coaching to all staff on technical financial and investment issues
with support from MD, Finance.
- Assists the MD, Finance with annual operating budget.
- Generates and distributes to all department heads the quarterly
budget/actual analysis and resolve any follow up
- Assists with quarterly Board financial packets.
- Assists with Investment Committee quarterly packets and ongoing
- Assists with the Audit and Finance Committee meetings
- Assists with hard to value gift analysis and preparation for
the Gift Acceptance Committee.
- Leads the finance team with implementing of the new accounting
software to advance and streamline processes; oversees the ongoing
integrity of the accounting software.
- Prepares/generates monthly or quarterly financial reporting
schedules for certain funds, as needed.
- Meeting with donors and other external parties as needed.
- Takes the lead for other tasks/duties as assigned by Managing
DirectorDESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or
Business Administration; CPA and public accounting experience
- Work Experience: Minimum ten years of relevant accounting
experience, including experience with accounting for investments
required, audit (including A-133) preparation required; Federal and
State tax filings required. Community Foundation experience
preferred. Fund accounting experience preferred.
- Skills: Must possess exceptional organization skills and the
ability to produce work that is of high quality in terms of
accuracy and presentation. Must be detail-oriented.
- Capabilities: Good judgment and critical thinking skills; works
well as a member of the team while coordinating the work of others
participating in certain tasks; cultivates a sense of community;
good customer-service orientation; good interpersonal skills;
ability to complete tasks in a timely manner. Anticipates needs and
ensures they are met with little or no direction. Ability to work
under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage multiple
- Conditions: Must exercise the highest level of discretion and
confidentiality, and have the ability to perform the work necessary
to complete the responsibilities of the position; must pass a
background check.SALARY AND BENEFITSSalary starts at $130,000.00
and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent
benefits package, including company-paid health, vision, dental,
and life insurance for employees; Flexible spending accounts;
Identity Theft, Critical Illness coverage, Universal life and
long-term care insurance and retirement plan with employer match;
Twelve paid holidays; Flexible work schedule.The Greater Washington
Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex,
national origin, disability, or protected veteran
Keywords: Greater Washington Community Foundation, Washington DC , Director, Finance, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!