Director, Belonging & Engagement
Company: The American Institute Of Architects
Posted on: November 23, 2021
Function of the Position: The AIA is committed to the continual
evolution of our culture to one where our diverse team members have
a strong sense of belonging, are valued, engaged, find purpose in
their work, and have opportunity to thrive and contribute to their
fullest potential. The Director, Belonging and Engagement is a
professional position in the Human Resources department reporting
to the Senior Vice President (SVP), Human Resources and Belonging.
The Director is responsible to champion, manage, and influence
programs and practices in pursuit of this cultural vision. This
role will create, direct, and implement strategies to include
diversity, equity, inclusion, engagement, corporate social
responsibility as well as other initiatives aligned to AIA's People
Plan, staff values, and the overall mission and vision of the
organization. The Director will leverage employee engagement
strategies to build on AIA's success in creating an environment
where employees are willing and excited to lend their discretionary
capacity to enhance the culture of the organization toward a
positive and rewarding experience. For both belonging and
engagement, the Director is responsible for creating, facilitating,
and implementing comprehensive strategies into operational and
actionable objectives and developing accompanying performance
metrics into all business and people processes. Key
Responsibilities Belonging, Diversity and Inclusion
- Develop and execute strategy (including tactics and practices)
toward cultivating a culture of belonging and engagement.
- Serve as a key member of our HR leadership team to ensure that
belonging, diversity and inclusion strategy is closely aligned with
our business and people strategies.
- Toward integration of HR programs, indoctrinate our belonging,
diversity and inclusion initiatives into our employee experience
programs such as onboarding, training, rewards and recognition,
benefits, performance management, etc.
- Facilitate Belonging Community of Practice (BCoP) meetings,
advising and managing this community in line with its charter and
- Collaborate with internal and external partners on design,
implementation and facilitation of belonging, diversity, and
inclusion training and discussions. This includes working with the
Director of Learning and Staff Communications to create an annual
education plan to support belonging, diversity, and inclusion
- Propose, prepare, and implement belonging, diversity, and
inclusion awareness events and celebrations; create and manage a
centralized calendar of cultural and special celebrations.
- Create and deliver awareness materials, including toolkits and
job aids for leaders.
- Create a measurement strategy and scorecard methodology to show
progress and effectiveness of belonging, diversity, inclusion, and
engagement programs and initiatives.
- Create and implement approach to engage senior leadership and
managing director team members in our belonging, diversity, and
inclusion strategy. Engagement
- Design and implement strategies that foster and consolidate
AIA's culture building initiatives that help translate
organizational values into everyday behavior.
- Revise current engagement program (aka Hamsterdam) to increase
participation and overall efficacy of this initiative.
- Lead the annual engagement survey initiative (Gallup Q12),
pulse surveys, and other feedback generation tactics to inform our
overall staff engagement strategy.
- Manage the Peer Excellence and Collaborative Impact Award
processes. Recommend and execute other staff recognition tactics as
- Create a one to three year plan with specific initiatives and
tactics related to becoming an employer of choice. Audit processes
and programs to provide feedback on effectiveness and opportunities
for improvement in pursuit of the employer of choice vision.
- Serve as consultant to team leaders on approaches to building
engagement at the team and department level. Corporate Social
- Develop a corporate social responsibility program.
- Work with employees and external resources to create
opportunities to support our community.
- Ensure that rewards/benefits associated with CSR are relevant
and effective in this effort. Frequent Contacts AIA Senior
Leadership Team (SLT) AIA Management Team AIA Human Resources Team
Technology Team Staff members External consultants Vendor and
survey related firms Requirements:
- Formal learning of the belonging, diversity, and inclusion body
of knowledge and best practices.
- Demonstrated success in previously designing, leading, and
measuring belonging, diversity, inclusion, and engagement
- Ability to create strategies weaving belonging, diversity, and
inclusion processes and practices into existing organizational
initiatives and culture.
- Collaborative relationship building and strong influencing
skills across all organizational levels.
- Strong organizational development and talent management skill
set (i.e., group process, organizational design, team dynamics,
leadership development, coaching, etc.).
- Excellent public speaking ability. Strong written and
- Excellent executive presentation skills, ability to communicate
complex ideas clearly and concisely as required.
- Strong leadership courage, willing and able to respectfully
question and/or challenge others to think through problems,
improvement opportunities, solutions, and plans.
- Skilled in building excitement and influencing behaviors at all
levels which support creating a more inclusive work
- Demonstrated political and operational ability. Special
- Diversity/Inclusion Certification
- Experience managing an organization's Corporate Social
Responsibility (CSR) program
- Experience managing and facilitating the Employer of Choice
- Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation or experience
working in non-profit/association environments Education Bachelor's
degree, preferably in human resources, business, or related field.
Master's degree preferred with a minimum of 7 years of professional
work experience, with the majority of experience in leading and
implementing belonging, diversity, inclusion, engagement, and
corporate social responsibility strategies and programs Supervisory
Requirement None recblid sf1x61c8xmxpked3s7ezhtggvxuoqi
Keywords: The American Institute Of Architects, Washington DC , Director, Belonging & Engagement, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!