Associate Director, Communications and Advocacy
Company: The Executive Leadership Council
Posted on: February 25, 2021
The Executive Leadership Council is the preeminent member
organization for the development of global Black leaders. Comprised
of more than 800 current and former corporate Black CEOs, board
members and senior executives at Fortune 1000 and Global 500
companies, we open channels of opportunity for the development of
Black executives to positively impact business and communities. We
are currently seeking an Associate Director, Communications and
Advocacy to join the Communications team. The incumbent will be
responsible for leading the organization's strategic government
relations and advocacy initiatives, along with the development and
execution of strategic communications and public relations
initiatives. This position reports to the Vice President/Chief
Communications and Marketing Officer. Communications / Media
- Research, write, edit and review documents as requested,
including, but not limited to, talking points, scripts, speeches,
articles, member communications, press releases and blogs.
- Lead ELC Communications efforts and public relations relating
to ELC member events, ELC executive office priorities and ELC
external facing initiatives.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with members of the
media/press, to include national, local, business- and
government-related media and bloggers, leveraging a robust network
to drive visible placement and issue-related coverage for the
- Work closely with VP, Communications and Marketing to develop a
government affairs and advocacy strategy in alignment with the
organization's mission and purpose in accordance with ELC Board
- Lead government relations and advocacy initiatives, including
cultivating and actively retaining relationships and partnerships
with state and federal elected officials, policymakers, nonprofits
and other related organizations.
- Manage government affairs and advocacy consultants and/or
agencies retained to assist in strategic planning and
- Recommend and implement channels to keep ELC members informed
and, when applicable, engaged in government affairs and advocacy
- Arrange and implement desk side briefings for ELC leadership on
- Serve as liaison and respond directly to inquiries from
government and advocacy related entities.
- Create talking points, briefings and other materials required
for ELC leadership response to government and external
- Advise on government and advocacy initiatives, speaking
engagements, events, partnerships, thought leadership
opportunities, etc. related to topic areas of interest to The
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications and
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a related
field is required. Master's degree is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with responsibilities in
communications (preferably executive), media relations, government
affairs and advocacy
- Experience in social media management and digital public
- Strong contacts with national and local media and bloggers,
national business/trade relationships preferred.
- Prior experience in government relations or advocacy is
- Proven track record in the ability to quickly cultivate
relevant media relationships and experience working with the
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and possess above-average
analytical, writing and communications skills.
- Experience with e-mail campaigns and platforms is preferred.
Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment,
demonstrating a flexible approach with short deadlines.
- Demonstrated passion for opening channels of opportunity for
the development of black executives.
- Driven self-starter who works effectively and efficiently with
all colleagues, strategic partners to include senior-level
executives and CEOs.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk. Must be able to lift up to
10 pounds at times.
- Travel may be required. The Executive Leadership Council is an
Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to ensure equal
employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based
on an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability, age, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, family responsibilities,
matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, or any
other protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and
local law. Apply Now with our quick 3 minute Application! * Fields
Are Required What is your full name? First Name How can we contact
you? Email Phone Number Number Type What is your preferred method
Keywords: The Executive Leadership Council, Washington DC , Associate Director, Communications and Advocacy, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!