Americas New Business Development Sr. Director Job ID 210
Company: Heifer International
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Job ID 210 Program / Project Management Washington, DC
DescriptionHeifer International is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected
veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual
The Americas New Business Development Sr. Director is responsible
to lead Heifer's global strategic partnerships as a collaborating
partner with the Senior VP of the Americas, to achieve Heifer's
Mission of increasing funding and partnerships within the Americas
region. This position will help guide a mission-driven approach to
strategic partnership development that contributes to revenue
strategies and approaches that are responsive to Heifer's strategic
approach to end hunger and poverty while caring for the earth. This
position will be responsible for creating a strategy to work within
selected agricultural value chains, focus on signature programs
that have scale and permanence of impact, and supporting
smallholder farmers to reach a living income. This position will
work cross-functionally with various internal teams as well as a
complex network of donors inclusive of the private sector. This
position will be key in developing and implementing the Americas
strategy that will drive the achievement of the strategic
objective. The Americas New Business Development Sr. Director will
represent the Americas in Washington, DC.--ESSENTIAL CHARACTER
Interpersonal communication skills, project management and
leadership skills, enthusiastic, business driven,
political/business savvy, collaborates, relationship-builder,
strong negotiator, energetic team player, courageous, and
resilience.RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Align revenue
strategies that support Americas to achieve scale in line with the
Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030 (40%)
- Execute strategy to develop and implement cohesive short,
medium and long-term strategy for resource mobilization that
compliments revenue and donor engagement strategies.
- Meet projected revenue targets to support Americas annual and
long-term growth and scale.
- Leveraging additional sources of funding and partnerships.
- Integrate with Americas regional hub for responsiveness to
local, national, and global opportunities.
- Integrate with the private sector leads to leverage resources
needed to win funding which will contribute to reaching scale in
signature programming.B. Collaborate with Americas Regional Hub as
it relates to technical programmatic expertise and program
- Lead, design, and implement a strategic, results-oriented and
coordinated approach to the mobilization of significant resources
- Capture trending methodologies and approaches from key donors
that can integrate with Americas field staff.
- Identify key partnership opportunities for Americas to ensure
sustainability of Heifer's approach.
- Influence and shape an emerging, integrated function that is
creative, flexible, innovative, and collaborative across structure
lines, in service of impact and scale.C. Represent Heifer in the DC
and Regional donor environment, marketing to donors while managing
relationships with key donors and stakeholders (35%)
- Position Heifer in the key regional markets and Washington DC -
as a key player in development.
- Identify trends in the funding environment and proactively
adapt strategies for positioning Heifer competitively.
- Build on Heifer's existing networks and open new large and
influential partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donors
(e.g. USAID, USDA, EU, DFID, IADB, IFAD, World Bank.), research and
technical partners, and partner INGOs.
- Build and expand relationships with environmental donors and
- Actively liaise with internal and external partners.
- Coordinating development of external materials, resources and
messages tailored to specific constituencies and target to existing
and potential donors.D. May perform other job-related duties as
Bachelor's degree in business development, international
development or a related field, and 10 plus years of related
experience. A minimum of eight (8) plus years in a supervisory
capacity. Must have work experience as a business development
professional with existing strong business development networks
among bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g. USAID, USDA, EU,
DFID, IADB, IFAD, World Bank), technical and research partners and
other INGOs. Successful experience in bringing together both
private and public funding for large scale programs. A proven track
record of leading proposal development processes and successfully
securing large scale funding and awards to support impactful growth
in programs. English and Spanish required (read, write,
- Master's degree in international development or a related field
with at least eight (8) years of experience in international
development with a focus on business development.
- At least 8-10 years in a similar role. Experience in policy,
programmatic and administrative functions, experience in business
development and partnership building, and exposure to developing
countries is essential.
- Have lived abroad and managed institutional donor projects in
- Have donor business development knowledge and practical
experience working in a highly competitive donor environment.
- Have a deep understanding and good working knowledge of
competitors in the industry.
- Have supervised staff at a satellite office.Most Critical
- Experienced in business development with pre-existing strong
networks among bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g. USAID, USDA,
EU, IADB, DFID, IFAD, World Bank.)
- Experience in brokering public private partnerships
- Ability and strong proven experience in spotting an opportunity
and closing deals in business and proposal bids.
- Knowledge and experience in complex partnerships that include
multiple partners and donors - with multiple and sometimes
- High energy, collaborative, leader with outstanding
interpersonal skills, enthusiastic relationship-builder, and strong
- Change leader with demonstrated persistence and resilience when
things go wrong and the ability to get things back on track.
- Leadership skills, with ability to provide others with a clear
direction and motivation.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to synthesize
complex or diverse quantitative and qualitative information from a
wide range of sources.
- Superlative problem-solving skills: identifying and resolving
problems in a timely manner; gathering and analyzing information
skillfully; using strong rationale even when dealing with difficult
- Knowledge of global sustainable development; including the
understanding of components of Heifers' program model to address
hunger and poverty - community-led development, livestock,
agriculture value chains, inclusive market systems, environmental
conservation and a commitment to the resource-poor.
- Experience in forming new partnerships, alliances and
relationships that integrate private sector partnerships, local
community funds, innovative financing, and impact investment.
- Passion for justice and change, coupled with strong business
acumen and a pragmatic grasp of Heifer's context - community-led
development, livestock, agriculture value chains, inclusive market
systems, environmental conservation, and a commitment to the
- Ability to work at a regional and global level.Essential Job
Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to negotiate effectively by exploring a range of
- Ability to serve as Thought Leader in technical areas of Heifer
competence in industry conferences to promote the findings of
- Ability to prepare and present speeches/presentations, reports,
business correspondence, and articles for publication that conform
to prescribed style and format with superior attention to
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication
with colleagues and the public.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with the ability
to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and
- Proven team leadership and management skills with the ability
to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, both
centralized and decentralized.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business
hours, including within business hours that are regular in other
time zones worldwide.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work with constant
interruptions yet deliver results on time.
- Adequate physical condition necessary to walk to project sites
in rural areas if needed.
- Ability to support Heifer's mission, Cornerstones Model, and
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both
domestically and abroad.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain
confidentiality You have been redirected to a Heifer International
Keywords: Heifer International, Washington DC , Americas New Business Development Sr. Director Job ID 210, Executive , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!