Associate Director, Bispecific Antibodies
Posted on: October 19, 2020
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their
unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial,
thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to
collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then youre our
kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines
for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500
experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC.
This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D
and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most
cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire
collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees
benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are
dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost
productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This
includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric
vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and
copy center. This is where youll find newly-designed,
activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles
while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
Antibody Discovery & Protein Engineering (ADPE) is responsible for
the discovery and optimization of next generation biologics to
create biological drug candidates for all key therapeutic areas
such as oncology, respiratory and inflammation, cardiovascular,
renal and metabolic diseases. We're constantly pushing the
boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to
patients, with a pass for the development of in-house biologics
discovery platforms and novel drug modalities to address unmet
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively lead and manage a multidisciplinary team of highly
experienced scientists to advance bispecific technologies and
support bispecific pipeline
- Collaborate with leaders across all therapeutic areas to
deliver pipeline projects and develop bispecific technologies for
enhanced selectivity, improved developability, and reduced
off-target and off-organ toxicities to ensure scientific excellence
and effective achievement of research goals
- Progress bispecific projects from early discovery to
- Establish high level strategies for new technology development
and apply new technologies in pipeline projects
- Set expectations and negotiate proper milestones to track
- Performance manage a team of scientists, setting goals and
objectives and leading all aspects of their professional
Education & Experience Requirements
Ph.D in Oncology, Chemical Biology, Molecular Biology or other
relevant scientific field with 10+ years of experience in antibody
engineering and/or bispecific antibody development in the Biotech
or Biopharmaceutical industry
- In-depth knowledge in Oncology and antibody drug
- Extensive hands-on experience in antibody design, antibody
engineering, and bispecific antibodies
- Proven record of driving bispecific programs from early
discovery into development stage
- Recognized innovative leader in scientific specialty as
evidenced by strong publications record, inventorship on
patents/filings and presentations at major conferences
- Proven ability to lead a team, motivate and develop others
- Demonstrated ability to influence and build strong
relationships with internal and external collaborators while
working effectively in a collaborative team environment across
- Track record of problem solving, risk management, negotiating
and influencing skills.
- Solid understanding of protein structure-function relationships
and antibody structural modeling
- Experience in engineering aggregation resistant antibodies and
- Biochemical and biophysical characterization of antibodies and
- In vivo experience using animal models for efficacy and PK
- Experience in scaffolds and antibody drug conjugates
- Strong leader with the ability to make sound and timely
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it
and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small,
can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing
medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments
and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building
a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a
bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means were opening new ways
to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected
teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, whats next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table?
Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope its yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
Keywords: AstraZeneca, Washington DC , Associate Director, Bispecific Antibodies, Executive , Gaithersburg, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!