Company: The Washington Post
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Owned by Jeff Bezos, Arc XP (www.arcxp.com) is a cloud-based
digital experience platform that helps enterprise companies, retail
brands and media and entertainment organizations create and
distribute content, drive digital commerce, and deliver powerful
multichannel experiences. A division of The Washington Post, Arc XP
has powered the digital transformation of customers across the
globe, currently serving 2,000 sites in over 25 countries that
serve nearly 2 billion unique visitors monthly.
Built 100% on AWS, the Arc platform follows a microservice
architecture. Our processes are lightweight, which allows our teams
to innovate quickly to bring new ideas to market. Our teams deliver
scalable SaaS platform solutions that allow customers to extend our
products and that serve businesses, sites and users worldwide. On
top of this platform we also manage a suite of over a dozen
sophisticated SaaS products used by business users and content
creators around the world. High availability, rock-solid stability
and global scale are all core tenets of Arc XP. We are looking for
an Engineering leader who would help lead, shape and scale Arc XP's
fast growing Engineering team. We need a futuristic leader that
would help execute our vision to be the best digital experience
platform in the market.
The VP of Engineering will work closely with the VP of Product
Management and the product/design organization to deliver new
products, features and improvements to the entire range of Arc XP's
SaaS products. This role also has a peer that manages site
reliability, application security, cloud automation management and
architecture standards; you will work closely with that role as
well. This is a leadership role, where you will represent
engineering around the company, with customers and prospects, and
you will also work closely with our CRO, the sales team and the VP
of Key Accounts. This role reports to the VP of Product &
- You bring high EQ and low ego resulting in confidence to share
the leadership spotlight and the opportunity to retain & hone your
craft as an engineer.
- You are energized by building and developing a world-class
engineering team, fostering both talent and culture.
- You are excited by a growth-stage company: fast pace, high
degree of both authority and accountability, and finding the
balance between long-term foundations and short-term
- You get engaged in scaling problems where both the problem and
solution require definition.
- You are motivated to create an engineering culture that blends
a focus on speed of delivery with a commitment to enterprise-grade,
planet-scale quality and scale.
- You are a self-motivated, highly-organized executive, with a
bias for action. You have a knack for driving change and building
support for your decisions.
- Your peers and team see you as an excellent communicator,
whether discussing complex technical ideas with architects or
sharing the engineering roadmap with non-technical executives.
- Champion the delivery of quality software efficiently, and
predictably, to meet the demands of our customers.
- Lead the technical vision for Arc XP, including new technology
adoption, new architectural patterns and new product
- Lead a team through management and mentorship - all within the
context of a quickly scaling business where roles and process will
need to be defined by you.
- Strategize on and deliver engineering goals in support of
product & business goals.
- Recruit, develop, and retain a high-performance, world-class
globally-dispersed engineering team with a follow-the-sun support
- Collaborate with company leadership, customers, and the product
team on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security,
and scale without sacrificing product delivery.
- Partner with our product team to drive long-term roadmaps from
ideation to execution, and onward through continuous
- Reviewing proposed application architecture and actively
helping your team create architectures that provide new
functionality, complement existing system and scale.
- Developing standards and procedures to ensure that quality
standards are met and consistent.
- Thoughtfully prepare, optimize and deploy the engineering
budget to maximize the impact of the team and provide a HA
experience for our customers.
- Build new strategic relationships with infrastructure providers
and other strategic vendors utilized by the engineering team.
- Serve as a public face of Arc XP's engineering organization,
representing the company in conferences, industry events and
- Serve as the most senior engineer in the organization, with
authority over how our teams build software and what enters
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further
develop your team's engineering skills and product knowledge. We
believe technical and human development is key to our success!
- Proven organizational leadership skills.
- 12+ years of experience in software engineering.
- 7+ years of experience managing teams overall, including 3+
years of experience managing engineering directors and ancillary
engineering support disciplines.
- Previous success building and scaling an engineering team to
200+ people, with specific experience in B2B SaaS platforms and
highly-available, scalable solutions.
- Extensive experience in working with stakeholders to create
hiring strategies to develop independent, self-organizing teams.
Experience in recruiting engineers and contributors.
- Building and enhancing a hybrid engineering culture with
employees and contractors around the globe.
- Deep understanding of digital product best practices and agile
- Comfortable and competent communicating with our largest
clients, including client executives, about both the good (driving
client adoption of the platform, etc.) and the bad (discussing
outages and production issues).
- Knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change
- Preferred: Experience building and running planet scale
products across multiple time zones.
- Preferred: Knowledge of data structures, algorithms, continuous
deployments, SDLC and cloud architectures.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality,
trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That
mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce
with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and
backgrounds are welcomed.
Keywords: The Washington Post, Washington DC , VP, Engineering, Engineering , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!