Senior Media Manager
Company: Center for American Progress
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: $68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C.,
office) Summary American Progress has an immediate opening for a
Senior Media Manager in the Communications department. The Senior
Media Manager has three distinct portfolios of work supporting
American Progress' mission to improve the lives of all Americans,
through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and
concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the
conversation, but changing the country. This hire will be part of a
dynamic department that supports work across American Progress'
five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening healthAbout 50 percent of the Senior Media
Manager's time will be spent helping American Progress experts
reach targeted audiences through opinion content. They will handle
the editing, pitching, and placement of all expert-authored op-eds
and other items for external placement. The Senior Media Manager
will develop relationships with opinion editors and help generate
strategic short- and long-term ideas for opinion content.About 25
percent of the Senior Media Manager's time will be spent working
with the Education department, Digital Strategy team, and
Government Affairs team, as well as with colleagues on the Press
team, to develop and implement media plans for the Education
department's initiatives.The remaining 25 percent of the Senior
Media Manager's time will be spent assisting in the production of
the Center for American Progress Action's flagship podcast, "The
Tent." Specifically, they will participate in long- and short-term
planning for the podcast and serve as the primary point of contact
for guest interview bookings. The Senior Media Manager will also
serve as the backup producer for the podcast and will be called on
to help record and edit episodes when the lead producer is
- Edit, pitch, and secure placement for all externally placed
content authored by American Progress experts, including op-eds,
long-form essays, and letters to the editor.
- Develop and implement media plans for the organization's
education policy work and coordinate with other functional teams,
including Digital Strategy and Government Affairs, to develop
overall outreach plans for this work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices
into daily news and an ever-changing news cycle, including pitching
reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Lead booking for the organization's podcast, "The Tent," and
serve as backup producer when the lead producer is unavailable,
assisting with audio editing, scripting, and other duties.
- On occasion, the Senior Media Manager may assist with drafting
- Perform other duties as assigned.Requirements and
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of experience in communications, media
relations, government, nonprofit work, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, a desire and willingness
to stay on top of the daily news cycle, and an eye for great
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight
deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving
- Knowledge of key stakeholders and thought leaders in
progressive policy and politics.
- Possession of good news and editorial judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to
- Familiarity with WordPress, Cision, the AP Stylebook, and Adobe
Audition or other audio software is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress' mission and goals.American
Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. This
position is represented by IFTPE Local 70 and has a minimum salary
of $68,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly
encouraged to apply.We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the
levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office
work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be
communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on
American Progress' Jobs page.
Keywords: Center for American Progress, Washington DC , Senior Media Manager, Advertising , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...