Media Relations Strategist
Company: Grassroots Global Justice
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Application Deadline: October 16, 2022Start date projected for
January, 2023. -Flexible Location, USA based. Remote work with
travel required for this position on average 5-10 days per month in
the US, and 15 days per year internationally. -Compensation:
$63,375-$81,600, commensurate with experience, skill and need.
Salaries are determined using an equity salary calculator that
factors an employee's need, experience and responsibilities
including traditionally invisible labor. This position is full-time
with potential for long term based on evaluation after a 3 month
introductory period. 100% of the benefits are employer-covered
including medical, dental, vision and life insurance beginning on
the first month after date of hire; 50% child medical insurance
benefit available. 401K after one year of employment. Generous PTO
and vacation. Additional remote work benefits offered. -Grassroots
Global Justice Alliance (GGJ) is an alliance of over 65 member
organizations. GGJ is organizing to build an agenda for power for
working and poor people and communities of color. We understand
that there are important connections between the local issues we
work on and the global context, and we see ourselves as part of an
international movement for global justice. GGJ focuses on bringing
grassroots organizations (GRO) into a long-term process of
relationship building, political alignment and the development of
transformational leadership, particularly for working and poor
women and gender-oppressed people of color. We weave and bridge
together US-based GRO groups and global social movements working
for climate justice, gender justice, an end to war, and a just
transition to a new economy that is better for people and the
planet. For more about GGJ, visit our website: -Position Summary:
This position will conceptualize, lead and implement earned media
strategies and develop & maintain media relationships for GGJ and
GGJ Action Fund. This position will report to the Co-Deputy
Director, Organizational Strategy. This position is a cost-shared
position with GGJ Action Fund (GGJAF), GGJs sibling 501c4
organization. -Job Responsibilities -Conceptualize, Lead and
Implement earned media strategies for GGJ and GGJAF (30%)
- Work with the Organizing Team and Communications Team to craft
- Develop a strategic media plan for relationships with
journalists, media outlets. (Identifying sector of media, key focus
- Draft and circulate press releases and media advisories as
- Work with staff, contractors and members to create media &
press content (op-eds, press releases with quotes, talking
- Orient spokespeople for talking to press during programs.
- Pitch media outlets on doing interviews with members and staff
on key topics.
- Track and update earned media hits on GGJ & GGJAF websites.
-Develop and maintain media relationships for GGJ and GGJAF (15%)
- Maintain and grow media contact lists.
- Implement a strategic plan for relationships with journalists,
media outlets. (Identifying sector of media, key focus areas, etc.)
-Lead external communications for GGJ and GGJAF (30%)
- Create and lead media communications plans for activities
including member engagement, media presence, and orientation of
- Edit communications written by staff or contractors to ensure
consistent narrative across e-blasts, fundraising materials, social
media messaging, etc.
- Coordinate with the Communications Team and Organizing Team to
maintain consistent documentation of program activities.
- Collect stories, quotes, and take photos and videos that can be
used in broader communication strategy and plan.
- Work with communications and development staff to frame our
work to different audiences, with a focus on member and external
- Write program reports for member & external communications
- Train and coach staff and members on messaging & talking
- Supervise communications contractors as needed.
- Participate in regular communications team meetings. -Ensure
consistent social media presence (10%)
- Coordinate with other communications team members, create
social media lists, lead live tweeting for events, etc. -Support to
maintain GGJ shared internal digital systems (5%): files, receipts,
finance forms, shared calendar, materials inventory, digital
security protocols. -
- File Sharing -
- Staff Communications -
- Digital Security Protocols
- Overall Team Task Management via Project Manager
- Contact Database - -Participate in GGJ team (10%)
- Active and timely response on all communications (email, phone,
texts, messaging apps)
- Attend weekly virtual meetings with staff, members and
- Participate in and support preparation for quarterly in-person
staff meetings, annual Coordinating Committee meetings, and other
events as necessary.
- Compliance with GGJ remote working policies and procedures
(calendaring, availability online, response time to communications,
receipts, etc.) -Required Qualifications and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience with communications in
U.S.-based Black, Indigenous and people of color-led grassroots
base-building social justice organizations.
- At least 3 years of experience with media relations in
- Demonstrated expertise in cultivating relationships with media
- Knowledge of national landscape of climate/environmental
justice, familiarity and political alignment with some Left
political frameworks such as feminist economy, climate justice,
transformative justice, and global justice issues, as well as
concepts pertaining to self-determination, liberation,
decolonization, internationalism, political economy, and popular
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with
the ability to engage with diverse audiences, and tune into others
feelings, thoughts, and motivations and earn trust by consistently
demonstrating integrity, authenticity, and competence.
- Ability to work remotely, manage multiple work tasks, maintain
attention to detail and accuracy, prioritization skills, and
ability to identify and communicate items needing further
- Ability to write and speak English.
- Experience in multi-racial, multi-generational, multicultural
- Knowledge of common computer applications: MS Office, Google
docs, Dropbox, Adobe Suite, and Zoom video teleconferencing
- Familiarity with CRM systems and Database management
- Experience using social media & web development tools:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Wordpress.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings and weekends),
including communicating with allies in other parts of the world in
different time zones.
- Willingness to travel: average 5-10 days per month in the U.S.,
and 15 days per year internationally. -Preferred Experience
- Ability to write and read additional language(s) besides
English, preferably Spanish.
- Familiarity with, and experience coordinating between sibling
501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations.
- Drivers license and liability insurance. - -To Apply:
- Please upload: -
- 1) a cover letter,
- 2) resume,
- 3) a written sample of a press release or media advisory you
- 4) a sample external media comms plan that you have created
from previous work
- Additionally, please provide 3 references with phone numbers
and email addresses. Please include someone who has supervised you
and someone you have supervised or mentored. - - - -Black,
Indigenous, Latinx, Arab, API people, women, femmes, queer folks,
trans and non-binary people strongly encouraged to apply. Only
candidates that are being considered will be contacted; please do
Keywords: Grassroots Global Justice, Washington DC , Media Relations Strategist, Advertising , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!