Senior Writer & Editor - Better Life Lab
Company: New America
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The Better Life Lab at New America is a small team of
researchers and storytellers working in solidarity with the
movement for work-family justice. We focus on intersectional gender
equity, elevating the value of care, and rewiring social policy and
workplace culture to work for todays families. Core to the Better
Life Labs mission is human-centered research, policy analysis, and
journalism. The Labs approach to research is creative and
narrative-driven. We emphasize translating research and analysis
into public-facing materials to change culture and influence the
national conversation on family-supportive social policy, workplace
practices, and cultural norms PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The senior
writer and editor will assist the director in leading the Better
Life Lab s storytelling and narrative change efforts, including
planning events, investigating, researching, reporting, authoring
and editing original pieces, papers, projects, reports, newsletter
and mul ti-media products written or produced by program staff ,
fellows and outside contributors.
- Report and w rite a regular stream of compelling and persuasive
content on the research and policy questions of the Better Life Lab
s work-family justice & intersectional gender equity mission,
including fair work, family-supportive public policy, the value of
paid and unpaid care work, and cultural narratives and expectations
around gender and poverty.
- Review and edit policy reports, use creativity to assist in
developing , investigating, researching , writing and editing
projects, briefs, blogs, op-eds, newsletter and other pieces or
multi-media products written or produced by program staff, fellows
or outside contributors.
- Help develop and grow a diverse community of contributing
writers on BLL issues, helping to manage reporting grant projects,
organize convenings and workshops, and compile resources,
potentially in partnership with allied organizations and media
- Help develop and maintain connections and partnerships with a
wide variety of writers, editors, producers and media outlets to
both place BLL-produced content and drive earned outside media
- Help organize strategy and plan events for convenings, report
and policy paper releases, Advisory Council workshops and other
- Liaise between the Better Life Lab team and New America s EPEC
communications staff as well as with external contractors,
including graphic designers, for reports and events .
- Work with authors to improve content, structure, and style
where needed; mentor young writers.
- Ensure all final copy is ready for publication, appropriate for
target audiences, and consistent with New America editorial
standards and style guidelines
- Manage the Communications Associate and oversee the Better Life
Labs social media presence
- Assist in assessing and strategizing to ensure that what Better
Life Lab produces and how its disseminated is having the greatest
impact OTHER DUTIES:
- The senior writer/editor may be asked to perform additional
duties and take on other responsibilities as dictated by team
leadership, events, and circumstances.
- Assist in outreach and building relationships with funders and
- Read widely and contribute mission-related media articles and
academic studies to the teams social media Slack channel on a
- Speak to reporters and potentially attend and present at
conferences and relevant events to raise the Better Life Labs
profile and amplify its work. QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 5-7 years of experience, as either a journalist and/or
public policy or academic researcher or editor.
- Ability to report, write and edit documents for accuracy,
clarity, content, accessibility, formatting, and style .
- Ability to use data and translate academic research and complex
public policy into compelling products aimed at educating and
influencing wide, mainstream audiences.
- Creative approaches, k nowledge of family-supportive policies
and gender equity issues a plus.
- Excellent organizational skillscandidates should have the
ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple projects and
tasks to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and
- Keen attention to detail.
- Moderate travel potentially required.
- Demonstrated interest or dedication to fostering equitable
outcomes across society and especially for lower income
communities, communities of color, and other historically
marginalized constituencies. This can be in either their personal
or professional life. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This position is a
full-time role with benefits. Annual salary will be between $80,000
- $100,000, depending on experience. The position is open to
candidates regardless of location. Flexible, hybrid work
arrangements are available for candidates in the Washington DC
area. Remote/digital candidates outside the DC area are also
encouraged to apply. APPLICATION PROCESS: Please submit a resume
and cover letter describing your qualifications to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone
calls New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to
hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization
thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our
clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and
encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create
an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and
drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, national
origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital
status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy
applies with regard to all aspects of ones employment, including
hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for
benefits, and termination. Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: New America, Washington DC , Senior Writer & Editor - Better Life Lab, Advertising , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!