Financial Aid Advisor/Direct Loan Officer
Company: Washington Adventist University
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Financial Aid Advisor/Direct Loan Officer
Student Financial Aid
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered
institution of higher education that supports a culture of
excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable
residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its
faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is
valued, and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we
work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of
the title, every employee supports WAUs vision of producing
graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their
Under the direct supervision from the Director of Student Aid, this
position facilitates the recruitment, enrollment, and retention of
students by assisting students in completing financial aid
application processes; determine aid eligibility, and counseling
students and families on financing options and payments plans.The
ideal candidate will be an independent and organized worker who is
self-disciplined and motivated and able to work with minimal
supervision under strict deadlines and a heavy workload.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Counsels and advises students and parents and other individuals
regarding financial aid, financing options.
- Educates students on budgeting, debt management, and
alternative ways to manage expenses associated with a college
- Confers with individuals and groups to disseminate information
and answer questions relating to financial assistance available to
students enrolled in the university.
- Consults with students to obtain information needed to
determine eligibility for aid.
- Determines student eligibility for financial aid through
verification and makes financial aid decisions and awards for
- Responsible for the financial aid processes for students, which
includes verifying and monitoring student files.
- Participates in trainings and conferences
- Serves as a liaison between financial aid and
admissions/recruiting in an overall effort to achieve student
- Manages originations and disbursements for the Federal Direct
- Coordinates federal direct loan reconciliations with Financial
Management Offices Student Accounts and Accounting
- Certifies and manages disbursements for private alternative
- Assists the Director with updates to policies and procedures
related to Direct Loans and Cash Management.
- Attends recruitment events and conducts financial aid seminars
(local and out of state) for students and parents during
open-houses and other times as assigned (including evenings and
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all activities in the
Student Financial Aid office.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and
- Attends university events and required meetings
- Attends mandatory weekly Convocation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Receives direct supervision from the Director of Student Financial
Aid and AVP of Enrollment Management
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily to perform the job successfully. The requirements
listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least twoyears higher education financial aid experience is
- Excellent command of English grammar and spelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Bilingual preferably English/Spanish fluency
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking ability.
Mathematical and Technology Skills:
- Basic computational skills using a calculator.
- Working knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite,
including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Preference given to candidates with experience using Ellucian
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete
- Applies logical or scientific methods to a wide range of
intellectual and practical problems.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must exhibit leadership skills.
Keywords: Washington Adventist University, Washington DC , Financial Aid Advisor/Direct Loan Officer, Accounting, Auditing , Gaithersburg, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!