STEM Program Director
Company: American Association of University Women
Posted on: January 15, 2021
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the
leading voice promoting equity for women and girls in education and
the workplace. It has more than 170,000 members and supporters,
1,000 local branches, and over 800 college and university partners
across the United States. Summary Description The STEM Program
Director is responsible for the effective design, implementation,
and management of AAUW's STEM (science, technology, engineering and
math) initiatives. In this new role for AAUW, the Director will
design and develop research and programs on current STEM issues
where AAUW has funding, particularly in encouraging girls of color
to declare STEM majors in college, as well as lead organizational
efforts on new STEM efforts, pending new funding. The ideal
candidate should demonstrate a commitment to addressing issues of
diversity, equity and inclusion in success in and access to STEM
education. Program Development and Implementation
- Design and develop AAUW's STEM initiatives in alignment with
AAUW's strategic goals in economic security, education and
training, and leadership while in keeping with restrictions on
current and future funding sources. The first few years of the
position will focus on encouraging girls of color to declare STEM
majors in college, particularly in the physical sciences and
- Propose and oversee qualitative and quantitative research
projects focused on STEM topics and issues.
- Collaborate with colleagues to align STEM fellowships, public
policy, research, and programs to create a comprehensive STEM
- Manage the development and implementation of evaluation tools
for STEM programs.
- Develop and grow relationships with other organizations and
stakeholders focused on STEM and represent AAUW at professional
events to build collaborative and strategic relationships.
- Execute and lead grant-driven program deliverables.
- Recruit and manage short-term consultants as necessary. Program
Operations and Management
- Coordinate with Advancement staff on proposal and concept
development for potential partners and funders.
- Coordinate with Communications staff to develop and ensure
accuracy of AAUW's digital and print resources on STEM.
- Create and monitor program budgets; report on program fiscal
status and adhere to budget parameters.
- Manage the work of the STEM Coordinator.
- Manage the work of the Research Associate, jointly managed by
the Director of Public Policy and Legal Advocacy.
- Provide oversight and direction for AAUW's Tech Trek program in
collaboration with affiliate camp leaders. Skills/Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience.
- Education or training in a STEM discipline with broad
understanding across all areas of STEM education.
- Substantive knowledge of the current landscape of formal and/or
informal STEM education.
- Demonstrated success managing, scaling, developing and
evaluating program models, and operationalizing programs resulting
in measurable success and program growth.
- Experience initiating and piloting new program ideas.
- Demonstrated budget and project management skills in running
complex, multifaceted projects and grants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate and establish
effective cross-functional relationships organizationally.
- Experience developing a high-performance, collaborative and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with
exceptional attention to details.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment
to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals, and
objectives. Compensation & Location The salary range for this
position is $110,000 - $130,000 contingent on relevant experience.
During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or
VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW's
office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at
AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Keywords: American Association of University Women, Washington DC , STEM Program Director, Accounting, Auditing , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!