Company: American Farmland Trust
Posted on: November 22, 2020
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that
takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land
itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the
farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980,
AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of
agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming
practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of
farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that
increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a
pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven
by agriculture's most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We
embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value
and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique
traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the
workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive
culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone
feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees
and applicants for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national
origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable
state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in
every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to
all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting,
hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall,
transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The Grant Accountant performs the accounting and financial
functions for programs funded by federal and non-federal grants.
These functions include actual v. budget reporting,
reviewing/monitoring of grants and transactions for compliance with
all federal and non-federal requirements, billing and collections,
journal entries, and financial grant reporting.
What You'll Be Working On
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating the accounting and
financial reporting for assigned grant portfolio, preparing monthly
and quarterly reports.
- Researching issues, prepares invoices/billings, and follows up
on accounts receivables.
- Timely submitting the required grant reports.
- Coordinating with budget managers to support proper and timely
expenditure of grant funds in compliance with applicable guidelines
and budget deadlines.
- Compiling year-end reports, work papers to support annual audit
and any grant audit.
- Assisting with Budget.
- Staying abreast of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
circulars and their applicability to grant management.
- Conducting asset reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is innovative & tech savvy, has a thorough
knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, a strong
understanding of all accounting functional areas, and
- Candidate should be innovative & tech savvy.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting
- Thorough understanding of all accounting functional areas.
Experience with accounting computer systems, software and
- Advanced proficiency in financial, accounting, and spreadsheet
(Excel) programs, proficient in word processing (Word) programs.
Sage Intacct experience is preferred.
- Strong, verbal, written, analytical and organizational
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and
trustworthiness. Keeps commitments, maintains
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
Demonstrates thoroughness and success with detail work.
Results-focused: maintains productivity with minimal direction and
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate
effectively with individuals.
- Ideal candidate enjoys stability and routine.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- 2+ years' experience in a non-profit organization.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable,
high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click
on the 'apply' button below.
Keywords: American Farmland Trust, Washington DC , Grant Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Washington, DC
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!